3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 ram 5.7 Transmission p0700 733 734 735

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM
espobill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting pre-evaluation quotes ~$3k vs ~$4k depending if shop reman vs shop installing Chrysler 3 yr reman. This shop comes highly recommended (Circle D)

I'm ready to pass this truck to my 16yr old son, so I want to make a quality 5-6 year dependable decision.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $5000 total for reman trans and install at the dealership so if you are getting installed for 3-4 you are still saving money. Since they are getting the reman they will probably cover the labor if replacement is necessary. If you buy a reman directly and then have someone install it and its turns out to have a problem you might get a replacement transmission but labor is most likely not going to be covered. Hopefully all goes well.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:58 AM
espobill

As I shop around I find one shop doing rebuilds 2/days for $1,400. How do I know if shop is reputable. Price is very attractive.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:51 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I assume your trans service at 155k was the first. At that mileage, I would not have done it. My oil change guy keeps trying to get me to flush mine. I have 160k, and trans works great on original fluid. No burnt smell, still cherry red. No way I'm gonna let him do it. I had a 2000 Ram with 175k on it, and let him do the flush. 2 months later, my trans was doing just what you described. Replaced the solenoids, that bought me another month or two, and at that point, it was rebuild time. I got it done for $1800. No problems after that. I traded it in at 198k.
In summary, if you have high mileage and have never serviced the trans, DON'T DO IT!!! If you get 150k out of your trans, consider yourself lucky, and plan for a rebuild in the near future.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:59 PM
66three83
Captain

$1400 is definatly on the low end. The shop could just be trying to drum up some work with attractive pricing. Or they could be using inferior parts. How long have they been in business?? Do they have testimonials?? What kind of warranty, and will they be around long enough to honor it?? Google the shop, and see if there are any reviews. Does the shop look professional, or is it a mess?? Transmission rebuilds need to be done in and almost sterile environment. Any foreign object that makes its way into the guts, could mean serious trouble. I would not hesitate to give the shop my business if my gut tells me they are on the level.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 PM
espobill

Originally Posted by 66three83
I assume your trans service at 155k was the first. At that mileage, I would not have done it. My oil change guy keeps trying to get me to flush mine. I have 160k, and trans works great on original fluid. No burnt smell, still cherry red. No way I'm gonna let him do it. I had a 2000 Ram with 175k on it, and let him do the flush. 2 months later, my trans was doing just what you described. Replaced the solenoids, that bought me another month or two, and at that point, it was rebuild time. I got it done for $1800. No problems after that. I traded it in at 198k.
In summary, if you have high mileage and have never serviced the trans, DON'T DO IT!!! If you get 150k out of your trans, consider yourself lucky, and plan for a rebuild in the near future.
Your right and I had descent fluid change at 155k, I was being told 50/50 to not/do it. what solenoids did you replace, I want to remove plate and check them before I put pan back on.

I don't think trans has any major gear issues since first problem completely fixed when new input speed sensor installed. I think it's another sensor issue or electric controller. Smooth shifting before these issues happened so suddenly.

Anything else DIY can check in driveway with trans still on truck, before I put pan back on.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 PM
espobill

$1400 is definatly on the low end. The shop could just be trying to drum up some work with attractive pricing. Or they could be using inferior parts. How long have they been in business?? Do they have testimonials?? What kind of warranty, and will they be around long enough to honor it?? Google the shop, and see if there are any reviews. Does the shop look professional, or is it a mess?? Transmission rebuilds need to be done in and almost sterile environment. Any foreign object that makes its way into the guts, could mean serious trouble. I would not hesitate to give the shop my business if my gut tells me they are on the level.
Thanks for advice, I found some reviews and scratched that shop off my list.

I see rebuilt trans for ~$500. Does it require much expertise to drop and install a rebuilt trans. In general, it seems easier than dropping my gas tank to replace gas pump.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:34 PM
66three83
Captain

I don't know how difficult it would be to swap yourself. I can agree with you on the fuel pump however!!! I went into that project being told it's just a couple of nuts to drop the tank!! That's a load of crap!! That project fought me every step of the way, the worst part being the fuel line that would kink like a soda straw if you tried to bend it in the slightest!!! I am convinced an access panel in the bed would be the best way to go if I ever had to do it again!

I can't remember the names of the two solenoids I replaced. But I know that due to the metallics that were floating around, the one kept failing. I replaced that one 2 or three times. There's a magnetic property about it that would cause it to attract the shavings and short it out. Talk about a PITA to change!! I think it might have been the governor pressure one, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:36 PM
espobill

I don't know how difficult it would be to swap yourself. I can agree with you on the fuel pump however!!! I went into that project being told it's just a couple of nuts to drop the tank!! That's a load of crap!! That project fought me every step of the way, the worst part being the fuel line that would kink like a soda straw if you tried to bend it in the slightest!!! I am convinced an access panel in the bed would be the best way to go if I ever had to do it again!

I can't remember the names of the two solenoids I replaced. But I know that due to the metallics that were floating around, the one kept failing. I replaced that one 2 or three times. There's a magnetic property about it that would cause it to attract the shavings and short it out. Talk about a PITA to change!! I think it might have been the governor pressure one, but I'm not sure.
A buddy helping me wanted to remove the complete bed before dropping tank, but me and other wanted to just drop tank, pump looks like it's too far forward to be reached even with bed removed. looks like it sits under extended cab.

Anyway, back to trans, I'm guessing you replaced the solenoid pack behind the plate that connects to the bigger multiwire connector? I'm wondering if my issues are coming from the trans control module itself or that same pack.

My codes/issues don't seem to match any in forums directly and seem to point to electrical.
Knowing i didn't have trans slippage or shift issues before.

got these codes when all of a sudden it felt like gears slipping and rpm's increasing w/out power.

p0700 transaxle control system fault, ie. module may have fault or open circuit in transaxle.

0733,4,5 gear ratios in 3rd gear - trans input/output not same.

tested & replaced input spd sensor - everything was great for a few days.

But codes did not ever reset on own, then all of a sudden, trans shifts great 1-2, but won't shift to 3rd.
replaced pressure sensor (seemed to have bad Ohms, but did not fix problem.)

could internal non-electrical problem happen so suddenly, get fixed by iss, and suddenly have another issue. or should i really be focusing on electrical parts only.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:26 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I think I would have perform a clutch test on the transmission before thinking about replacing it. You could have a broken hub with shaft or the underdrive clutches are burnt. Or you can perform a tear down and inspect.

Quick Reply: 04 ram 5.7 Transmission p0700 733 734 735