3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 1500 4x4 Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM
throttle9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 1500 4x4 Clunk

I've had a clunking noise coming mainly from the right front/middle of the truck ONLY when I disengage the 4x4. There's no worrisome noises while in 2x4 nor when I'm in 4 wheel, but when I turn the *** from 4 locked to 2 wheel there's a very noticeable "clunk" around 10-15 seconds after turning the **** to 2x4. It's more obvious when at speeds around 20 to 40mph and you can feel it as well around 40. I haven't tried it at any higher speeds for fear the truck would self-destruct. Before I head out in the Arctic air and take a look, are there any suggestions as to what it may be? This just started within the past few weeks.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:32 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

change diff fluid. May not help, but it is due.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you shift from 4x to 2x, left off the gas a little to unload the drive train, and allow the gearing to disengage.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's normal. Gone Fishin is right. If you are accelerating or decelerating, you may hear a clunk. I always throw mine in nueteral and coast when switching.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, are you engaging/disengaging while on dry ground? dry ground will cause noises because there's no tire slip involved.

Also, it's 4x2, not a piece of wood(2x4) ;-)

Originally Posted by p38251
change diff fluid. May not help, but it is due.
He's disengaging the front diff. He never mentions anything about mileage or his maintenance schedule. So, what part of that info makes you think his diff fluid is due for service?
The clunk is probably within the transfercase, Not the diff.

Originally Posted by 66three83
That's normal. Gone Fishin is right. If you are accelerating or decelerating, you may hear a clunk. I always throw mine in nuetral and coast when switching.
You don't need to throw your truck in neutral and I actually wouldn't recommend such advice.
I've shifted my 2008 into and out of 4wd at 65mph and it was so smooth you couldn't even tell. i did it with even gas pressure and while coasting and it made no difference. The reason it makes no difference is because when you are coasting, the pressure is on the backside of the gears at the same pressure as when you are cruising and the pressure is on the front side(leading edge) of the gears.
What I wouldn't recommend is to engage 4wd while hammering the gas or while turning!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 PM
throttle9

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
When you shift from 4x to 2x, left off the gas a little to unload the drive train, and allow the gearing to disengage.
I usually do let off the gas a bit but it hasn't seemed to matter this week.

That's normal. Gone Fishin is right. If you are accelerating or decelerating, you may hear a clunk. I always throw mine in nueteral and coast when switching.
It most certainly isn't normal when not only does it "clunk" but somewhat jolts the truck. My first thought was that it was a big piece of ice that fell out of the wheel well.
Originally Posted by dirtydog
OP, are you engaging/disengaging while on dry ground? dry ground will cause noises because there's no tire slip involved.

Also, it's 4x2, not a piece of wood(2x4) ;-)
I usually never have it engaged while on dry ground and lately the roads have been mostly snow/ice covered. Thanks for the correction, I had a good laugh about it

He's disengaging the front diff. He never mentions anything about mileage or his maintenance schedule. So, what part of that info makes you think his diff fluid is due for service?
The clunk is probably within the transfercase, Not the diff.
The truck has about 45,000+ on it so it is worth looking into. Worth noting that I took a quick peek last night and noticed a bit of fluid build up around where the right front axle meets the differential. Perhaps it's just a seal that is shot??

I've shifted my 2008 into and out of 4wd at 65mph and it was so smooth you couldn't even tell. i did it with even gas pressure and while coasting and it made no difference. The reason it makes no difference is because when you are coasting, the pressure is on the backside of the gears at the same pressure as when you are cruising and the pressure is on the front side(leading edge) of the gears.
Agreed!!

Thank you all for your help

Last edited by throttle9; 12-28-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:44 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by throttle9

I usually never have it engaged while on dry ground and lately the roads have been mostly snow/ice covered. Thanks for the correction, I had a good laugh about it

The truck has about 45,000+ on it so it is worth looking into. Worth noting that I took a quick peek last night and noticed a bit of fluid build up around where the right front axle meets the differential. Perhaps it's just a seal that is shot??

Agreed!!

Thank you all for your help
hmm. could be just the seal. I would get in there and try to wiggle it. The shafts shouldnt have any play to them at the housing.

Make sure you check out the Maintenance FAQ I posted for all fluid types and levels etc.
I combined all info, but it's handy and in one spot.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nce-specs.html

Quick Reply: 2007 1500 4x4 Clunk