3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No start problem after alternator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Calzone21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start problem after alternator replacement

I was fortunate enough to have the alternator in my 2002 Dodge Ram die on me on the way to work during a blizzard. Fortunately I was able to make it there and was able to order an alternator from a large salvage yard nearby. I was able to replace the alternator and everything went together smooth except on my way home my check engine light and check gauges light popped on and my dash voltmeter dropped to zero. Again it was able to limp home before everything finally died. I know that the salvage alternator is probably bad but I bought a new Interstate battery and installed it and decided to test the alternator anyway. Now however, the truck will only crank forever without actually starting. If I pump the gas a little it will cough to life for a moment only to die again the moment I let off. I am not sure what would cause a crank, no start problem with an alternator install but I am sure I am overlooking something that may be simple. I should also mention that the battery was completely disconnected before the alternator was touched and I have checked grounds as well as fuses. Any help I could get on this would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: No start problem after alternator replacement