3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifetime Warranty Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - Lifetime Warranty Inspection

I have to take my '08 Ram in this weekend for it's 5 year lifetime warranty inspection.

I pulled the Hemi hat a couple of years ago and replaced it with 4'' PVC pipe, but left the stock air box on. I had planned on putting the Hemi hat and all the stock parts back on before the inspection, but after moving since swapping all of the parts, I can only find the Hemi hat. The stock tube that runs from the air box to the hat is MIA.

Should I worry that the Dealership will void the warranty because of this or just take it in and keep my fingers crossed? Oh...I did alter the air box intake to pull air from the front of the vehicle instead of the fender. Not sure what to do since I'm down to a couple of days to get this inspection done (guess this is what I get for waiting til the last minute ) .

Last edited by 08Hemi4K; 01-22-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

As long as you have the stock airbox, you'll be fine. The removal of the Hemi hat isnt going to void you. Just make sure you have the stock sealed airbox on and hopefully you didnt go cutting it up with a bunch of holes or anything.

Mechanic straight up told me that I was lucky to have kept the OEM box in place because an open airfilter would have voided me...but get this...a Dealer installed Mopar CAI would not..lmao Makes no sense!

I suppose it's up to the dealer performing the inspection because a 4th Gen member has a Volant intake and didnt fail.

Also, if you have a tuner, put it back to stock.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional

Thanks DirtyDog.

All I did was remove the stock intake tube that connected to the fender and installed a 3'' pipe that aims toward the grill (not sure it accomplished anything)...no drilling or cutting.

No programmer either.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd say your fine. If the Mechanic seems to think otherwise, just see if you cant make it right and come back corrected.
I doubt you'll have an issue. The box is the biggest I was told because of possible water damage with open filters. (hydrolock)

Do you have any other mods maybe your forgetting? Drivetrain related?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional

Nothing besides an aftermarket muffler.

I keep my maintenance records on a spreadsheet...should I print that off and leave with them (I do all of my own routine maintenance)?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

You dont need to provide any records until a failure.

I just gave them my keys, waited for 30min and then signed a piece of paper and got my keys back. I do nothing at the dealer and showed no proof of maintenance...

Here's what they do:

The inspection is 5 parts, with the first being the validation:

VIP VALIDATIONS
1) Original owner & owner identification matches 2)WCC799 or 833; 3) States "This vehicle is eligible for the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty 5Yr. Inspection" and 4) Inspection is within 60 days +/- of in-service date.

POWERTRAIN INSPECTION STEPS
1) Lift the vehicle on suitable hoist.

2a) Check all powertrain components for leaks.
*Does the vehicle have a warrantabie powertrain leak, obtain Service Manager approval for this repair to continue inspection.

* Does the vehicle have a non-warrantable powertrain leak, customer must authorize retail repair before inspection can continue.

2b) Check all powertrain components for physical damage,
*Does the vehicle's powertrain have physical damage, customer must authorize retail repair before inspection can continue.

2c) Does the vehicle have modifications that have affected the operation of the powertrain?

3) Lower the vehicle and check the level and condition of all applicable powertrain fluids.

* Are powertrain fluids at acceptable levels? If NO, have these levels caused damage?

* Are powertrain fluid conditions acceptable? ~ If NO, have these fluid conditions caused damage?

4) Connect a diagnostic scan tool and check for any active powertrain related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC),

*If exhibiting anv active powertrain related DTC, customer must authorize warrantable and non-warrantable repair before inspection can continue.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 AM
08Hemi4K
Professional

Thanks again DD.

I'll get'r in tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Let us know. I sure wish I was the original owner of my 06 Mega, so I could enjoy that level of protection as well. Can't complain, have 165k with no serious issues so far. Knock on wood!!!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM
08Hemi4K
Professional

Just talked to the service advisor and it passed. No leaks anywhere...said everything looked good and not a word mentioned about the intake or air box.

Not bad for it being 5 years old with 126K on the dial.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Niceee. Damn, you drive a lot! A bit more than my 15kmi..lol

Quick Reply: Lifetime Warranty Inspection