3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'02 Ram 1500 - Trouble shifting out of park

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 PM
CTSNic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Ram 1500 - Trouble shifting out of park

I purchased a '02 Ram 1500 not too long ago and it has this issue where every time it is in park, I have to fidget with the shifter (on the column of steering wheel) to get it to come out of park. I've played with the brake pedal trying different techniques and nothing works. If I jostle it a bit it usually come out. The fix currently is to pull it in, and then let it spring back. I try to do this lightly, but sometimes I really have to let it spring or flick back hard and then I can easily shift out of park.

Looking online it sounds like it could be a couple issues but they didn't specify if it was a console shift or column shifter. Anyone else hear of this issue or have this problem? It does it 100% of the time, not relevant to the angle it's parked at or the wheel position.

I am not sure where to try tackling the issue and if it's a broken part or something that just needs lubricating (if a manual slide of some sort?)

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might read through this thread. Don't know if it will help.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...k-in-park.html

Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM
CTSNic

Cool, that thread follows along with a video of an '01 Dakota I saw on YouTube with similar issue. Any favorites as far as oil? I'd hate to have to do it every 5k miles, and I don't want to make an oily mess either. Silcone, WD, Graphite, Penetrating Oil...any benefit of one or another?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSNic
Cool, that thread follows along with a video of an '01 Dakota I saw on YouTube with similar issue. Any favorites as far as oil? I'd hate to have to do it every 5k miles, and I don't want to make an oily mess either. Silcone, WD, Graphite, Penetrating Oil...any benefit of one or another?
I've never needed it myself, although my Durango was just starting to show the symptoms just before some foreigner totaled it out on me.
I wouldn't use a penetrant or WD. They tend to run everywhere. The silicone should work fine I would think. I'm also thinking this garage door lubricant from Denco might be good if you can direct it only on metal components. Claims it won't run off where its sprayed.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM
CTSNic

Okay cool. I'll check that out. According to newer manufacturing there is a couple manual switches that disengage so it can be moved out of park...however there is plastic surrounding what appears to be some pot metal or aluminum slides & channels.

Quick Reply: '02 Ram 1500 - Trouble shifting out of park