3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Was cruise control an option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Will_V2Lab -

You can view your vehicle equipment (Build) sheet. It contains the standard and optional equipment when the vehicle was built.

Go here; click on Equipment Listing (under YOUR VEHICLE.) Put in your VIN and you can find out what was on the vehicle when it was built.
There's no way someone would have steering wheel buttons and no Cruise module unless the steering wheel is not original to the truck.

Will, I know tuners can effect cruise control operation. Maybe you have a tune loaded into your truck? I'm not sure how you would verify that without the tuner if the previous owner forgot to remove the tune?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
There's no way someone would have steering wheel buttons and no Cruise module unless the steering wheel is not original to the truck.

Will, I know tuners can effect cruise control operation. Maybe you have a tune loaded into your truck? I'm not sure how you would verify that without the tuner if the previous owner forgot to remove the tune?
The friend I bought it off of is oblivious to vehicles. He got it off a used lot...

Anyway to tell if its been tuned? Would it be like a piggyback system?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Will_V2Lab
The friend I bought it off of is oblivious to vehicles. He got it off a used lot...

Anyway to tell if its been tuned? Would it be like a piggyback system?
No, you'd have to go to the dealer and have them hook-up their star scan tool to it. Then they will be able to check if the OEM programming has ever been modified, they can also see if any values related to the operation of the cruise control have been modified.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

Resurrecting briefly. I finally got the chance to dig into the truck. I've checked all the connectors and wiring that's cruise related and under the hood/wheel well. Now I'm digging into the steering wheel to make sure everything is fine in there.

I'm noticing the clock spring seems to be loose; wiggly. Is that okay? I don't have any airbag lights or anything so it seems like it's okay? Also checked the switches as well. All seems well so I'm gonna buy a new LF wheel bearing assy when my tax return hits and hope that fixes the problem.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

Update:

Replaced my front left wheel bearing assy finally. My truck decided it was time and the wheel bearing semi self destructed.

Put on the new bearing assy and still no cruise control . I guess the next thing to check is the clock spring? Alldata is pretty useless as far as diagnosing the cruise system.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Izero
Champion

Clock Spring should NOT be loose.... should probably fix that...

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

This weekend i'm going to remove my steering wheel again and double check everything. Are there any ways to test the clock spring?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Izero
Champion

This video MIGHT help.....

but I've never really tried to "test" one... I've replaced one before, but never tested one....

If you are going to do ANYTHING in there make sure you disconnect the battery and discharge ALL of the power in the vehicle, otherwise you might deploy an airbag or two, which is NOT fun.

I usually disconnect the positive terminal at the battery, and then press the brake a few times and then wait like 5 minutes or so... that is usually pretty reliable method, but with these TIPM systems you might want to give it a good 10-15 minutes for any capacitors to discharge and relays to turn off...

Quick Reply: Was cruise control an option?