3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Was cruise control an option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was cruise control an option?

I have an 04 single cab/long bed with the 5.7 in it. The steering wheel has cruise control buttons but they don't do anything. I searched and didn't find a CC fuse and found on here that the CC sensor is on the left, front wheel bearing.

If that was out, wouldn't at least the cruise light come on? Maybe its disconnected? Or even worse maybe the steering wheel has been replaced?

Cruise control would be really nice as I do a lot of 4+ hour drives in my Ram.

Here's a photo of my steering wheel..

Name:  E80EAF82-9247-40F9-9240-BBEB5ECE9AEB.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  118.1 KB

Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the fuse box, ( near battery ) thiers place for a fuse for cruse control in all models of Ram ( use the same fuse box in ST SLT ect)

Its unlikely some one replaced the stearing wheel with the cruse buttons on a non cruse truck, thats a perfect match to your interior.

If you have a SLT, cruse control is standard.

Now try this, Push down the odometer reset button when key is out of the ignition, at the same time turn the key over, Gages will do a sweep and all the bulbs will light up on the dash, if you dont see a cruse control light, the fuse could be out, or you dont have cruse..( location of fuse box set up is in the owners manual) If you do see a cruse control light, you have cruse control..

On my 06 Ram, Thiers some resistance when I push on the cruse, if yours feels like a hallow switch, than you will have to pop the switchs.. as they might not be making contact..

Now to get it working if thiers a fuse in place and its good, is out of my ball park, dealer will have to scan for trouble codes.

Last edited by cyclone429; 02-03-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

I'm not sure what trim level my Ram is. The only badges on it are the Ram 1500 and the 5.7 Hemi badges. Trying to figure out everything about it lol

Did the sweep trick (thanks! didn't know about that) and the cruise does indeed light up. At the end it gave me some weird C-Codes.

It gave me b701, b801, and 0000.

Later on I did it again and it gave b702 and b801. Tried again and got:

b701
b702
b706
b715
b716

I looked online and can't find anything about these and even printed out a bunch of data from Alldata and it doesnt have these codes. Are they real trouble codes?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Will_V2Lab -

You can view your vehicle equipment (Build) sheet. It contains the standard and optional equipment when the vehicle was built.

Go here; click on Equipment Listing (under YOUR VEHICLE.) Put in your VIN and you can find out what was on the vehicle when it was built.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

When I had a front hub bearing replaced under warranty, the new one had a bad sensor and on my 08, it wouldn't even power up. It can be the sensor or a bad clock spring in the column.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Will_V2Lab -

You can view your vehicle equipment (Build) sheet. It contains the standard and optional equipment when the vehicle was built.

Go here; click on Equipment Listing (under YOUR VEHICLE.) Put in your VIN and you can find out what was on the vehicle when it was built.
Awesome! Thanks!!

Originally Posted by lxman1
When I had a front hub bearing replaced under warranty, the new one had a bad sensor and on my 08, it wouldn't even power up. It can be the sensor or a bad clock spring in the column.
Hmm well I hope its the sensor. Seems easier and cheaper than the clock spring. Didn't consider the clock spring though. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

The Dodge website confirms that my 04 has cruise control (i'm assuming thats what Speed Control is). Now i'm definitely on the hunt for the fault in the system.

Also i'm supposed to have behind the seat storage? It looks like something is missing... now I know what lol.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Will_V2Lab
The Dodge website confirms that my 04 has cruise control (i'm assuming thats what Speed Control is). Now i'm definitely on the hunt for the fault in the system.

Also i'm supposed to have behind the seat storage? It looks like something is missing... now I know what lol.
If your referring to the storage bin, on a reg cab, SLT had this standard, it may have been a option on the ST, its nice to have, but fabing one up your self is a lot more practical. Rear speakers on a reg cab are useless, by rhe time you store tools, tow ropes, ect..

I even had a nail gun and compressor and all framming gear behind ny seat, and the one tool ya need is buried at the bottom! !

Neutral safety switch..has failed on me on warranty, I have a 6 sp manual transmission on my 2500..

Only options are the differance betwean a ST and a SLT..

1500 REAR differential c Clips are problems on the half ton Rams and use midgrade gas!!

Last edited by cyclone429; 02-06-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

Originally Posted by cyclone429
If your referring to the storage bin, on a reg cab, SLT had this standard, it may have been a option on the ST, its nice to have, but fabing one up your self is a lot more practical. Rear speakers on a reg cab are useless, by rhe time you store tools, tow ropes, ect..

I even had a naul gun and compressor and all framming gear behind ny seat, abd than the one tool ya need is buried at the bottom! !
yeah I can tell something used to be there. wasn't sure what haha. I'll probably hunt one down as I have a Delta bed box and keep most of the stuff locked up in that.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Izero
Champion

There isn't a fuse for Cruise Control, it is controlled by the FCM....

I did some searching and many people have had similar issues on their 2004, and most of them fixed it by replacing the left front wheel bearing assembly... it has the sensor inside of it.

The other common cause I found was a firmware update for the PCM, or a new PCM all together... the ones that needed a new PCM seemed to have other issues aside from the Cruise Control not working, so I'm doubtful you will need a new PCM.

Quick Reply: Was cruise control an option?