3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission not shifting into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Sloshkong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Transmission not shifting into 3rd

Hi all, my father has a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn 4WD with 66k miles. We recently had a big snow storm here on the east coast and have been using the 4WD. yesterday my dad was going to the store and could not get the truck to shift into 3rd gear. He found that he was about 2 quarts low on ATF we added.He tried putting it in 4WD and back into 2WD but it still won't shift into 3rd gear. Now his engine light is on. Any thoughts?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

Have the code read for the check engine light and post it here. Being 2 quarts low for however long could definitely cause some issues.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Sloshkong
Lightbulb Engine code

The engine code is PO841 Transmission Fluid pressure sensor/switch A circuit range/performance.
I looked it up online and it said that it is usually caused because of a clogged tranny filter in the trans pan. Looks like I will have to do a trans flush/filter change.
Any thoughts about going about this?
I've seen the transmission flush procedures on the DIY section but am curious to see if there is a more in depth instructional video or pictures on what tranny filters work best and the proper steps in sealing the trans pan gasket to prevent it from leaking.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:42 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sloshkong
Any thoughts about going about this?
I've seen the transmission flush procedures on the DIY section but am curious to see if there is a more in depth instructional video or pictures on what tranny filters work best and the proper steps in sealing the trans pan gasket to prevent it from leaking.
There's a write here by dirtydog on how to flush out all the fluid instead of simply a pan drop..Some have said they've had problems with after market filters, but I always by the autozone brands with no problems..good luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Sloshkong
Default Thanks I'll need it

So I followed his write up, bought 20qts of atf4, disconnected the bottom return trans line and connected a 3/8 hose line into a bucket. It is a metal hose line that has a plastic piece that was flush against the flare I pulled that plastic piece back a little and took out that snap ring that holds the transmission line in place.

We found some metal shavings in the pan that scared me and my dad.

We are now scraping the old gasket off the pan.
Would it be wise on using RTV or something to hold the new tran pan gasket in place?

Thanks!

Last edited by Sloshkong; 02-22-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:14 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sloshkong
So I followed his write up, bought 20qts of atf4, disconnected the bottom return trans line and connected a 3/8 hose line into a bucket. It is a metal hose line that has a plastic piece that was flush against the flare I pulled that plastic piece back a little and took out that snap ring that holds the transmission line in place.

We found some metal shavings in the pan that scared me and my dad.

We are now scraping the old gasket off the pan.
Would it be wise on using RTV or something to hold the new tran pan gasket in place?

Thanks!
Many use only RTV. I don't like using rtv and have never had problems with leaks..I hate scraping. Some just use a little on the gaskets which helps keep them in place while you maneuver the pan back on.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:26 PM
stenerson
Veteran

By shavings , do you mean some fine metallic sludge on the magnet?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Sloshkong
Default Yes

My father dumped it I to the bucket of tranny fluid before I could get a good eye of it but he said there was a lot of metal shavings in there.. Now I have everything bolted back in and put in 7 quarts of fluid and put it in drive for five seconds. But the flow of tranny fluid coming out of the return line isn't really coming out that fast...maybe one quart came out and it is spitting and sputtering, isn't 7 quarts supposed to drain out? What could be my problem?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 AM
stenerson
Veteran

hmm? It could be several things. I read up on the code and it is sometimes caused by a bad valve body. They say it can be an internal solenoid issue not getting enough fluid through the channels in transmission to operate correctly...Replacing the valve body is easy enough (if that's the issue). It could also be a wiring issue.
Please keep us posted..I had to change the TRS assembly (solenoid assembly) in my valve body last year. In order to do so I removed the valve body, which is easy enough..5 or 6 bolts hold it in place.

Last edited by stenerson; 02-23-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Sloshkong

Since the 7 quarts didn't flush out when I had the return line unplugged, I just reconnected it and added about two more quarts to get the dipstick happy... Still won't shift to third. . We also reseted the trouble code. now my bro is saying I was wrong and didn't have to do a flush/filter change. He bought that fluid pressure sensor for like 80$ and said he was going to replace it. I'll keep yall updated,most likely there will be cussing next weekend too!

Quick Reply: Transmission not shifting into 3rd