3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM
SPKNout4CHRIST
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump?

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi 5.7.

I am having issues being able to steer. If I am moving or give it gas when sitting still I can steer it okay, but otherwise the wheel will not turn at all or is EXTREMELY difficult to turn. Also, when turning the wheel I hear the typical whining noise associated with a power steering issue.

I replaced the pressure switch a couple of months back as that is what was causing the check engine light to come on. That fixed the check engine light issue, but had no effect on the issue above. I have added fluid to make sure it is full, but that has also not had any effect.

Is the next thing I am looking the power steering pump? If so, what kind do I need to replace it with? I have seen them with and without the reservoir, etc. Lastly, is this something I should be able to accomplish myself? I am fairly mechanically inclined, but don’t want to get in over my head.

Thanks in advance for the advice and God bless!

Matthew

Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the pump. Not a hard procedure. You shouldn't need the reservoir. I believe you'll need to rent a pulley puller because the new one's dont have the pulley and I think the Rams have a pressed on pulley???? It's probably easiest to remove the pulley while it's mounted to the truck still before removing the pump for replacement

Generally a worn pump means shavings all through out your rack and it could get in your new pump and ruin that one as well. I would highly recommend a flush in this order...
1)Drain the old fluid out via rack drain plug
2) re-fill w/ATF+4 and purge system of air by turning steering wheel far left and far right several times with truck running(easiest is front is off ground). Be sure to keep system topped off.
3) Turn truck off and Drain system again
4) Install your new pump.
5) refill and bleed of air
6)drain once more
7)refill and bleed of air.
8) your done.

This will do the best job flushing everything out. You can skip 6&7 but I would do the above if it were mine.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
RickEisele

Thanks...very helpful I sure appreciate it!!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:56 PM
lsn33

question on power steering pump pulley removal...do I need to remove fan and shroud to do so?
2004 ram 1500 5.7 hemi
thanks in advance

Old 10-05-2015, 07:41 PM
dss56
Professional

If you are going to change the pump yourself get a complete pump with pulley and reservoir. The reason is the pulley is plastic and easy to break. You will need a special tool to press the old pulley on. Go to a salvage yard and get a used one about $50.00 that's what I did.

The pulley can break very easy so if you decide to use the old one be carefull and the reservoir will need a new seal if you use the old one. So getting a complete used one will work better IMHOP.

My truck a 4.7 had plenty of room and did not need to remove fan or shroud.

Good luck

Old 10-05-2015, 08:18 PM
lsn33

Originally Posted by dss56
If you are going to change the pump yourself get a complete pump with pulley and reservoir. The reason is the pulley is plastic and easy to break. You will need a special tool to press the old pulley on. Go to a salvage yard and get a used one about $50.00 that's what I did.

The pulley can break very easy so if you decide to use the old one be carefull and the reservoir will need a new seal if you use the old one. So getting a complete used one will work better IMHOP.

My truck a 4.7 had plenty of room and did not need to remove fan or shroud.

Good luck
Thanks for timely reply!
How do I know the salvage yard pump is good? I only ask because this is a new and different adventure for me and I've never gone to a salvage yard! Also how difficult is this process, let's assume I can turn a wrench and can grasp concepts easily but I have never owned a truck before!
Also, if I just change the pump what reservoir seal will I need and can they be purchased separately and easy to install?
Please forgive my naivety

Last edited by lsn33; 10-05-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Forgot another question
Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 PM
dss56
Professional

When you take off your reservoir you will see an o-ring seal you can get at AZ or Pep Boys.
If you get a complete pump no need for a res. seal.
Look on Craigs List near you for parts trucks should get one cheap.
Ebay also has used ones but takes time for delivery.

Only thing is its messy you have to drain the pump res and then disconnect the high and low side lines. I used a cheap Turkey baser to suck out the fluid. Then on the pulley there are holes to put a socket through to remove the bolts from the block. I think 3 bolts.
Total time 2-3 hours to remove and install everything taking your time.

Use correct fluid when adding new fluid.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Fluid is actually the ATF+4. That's right, the transmission fluid.

SJ03

Old 10-08-2015, 01:11 PM
lsn33
Default Power steering pump

Thanks for your help, it was successful thus far (day 2) and still working! Took and extra hour due to dropping my ratchet into the frame, yeah you read that right! But it helped me solve a rattle I've been hearing. I found a bolt super lose in what seems to be connected to top of front differential and the front suspension... Weird I know! Next is trying to get in their to tighten, seems next to impossible then onto water pump replacement!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump?