3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Waterpump change, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a word of advice for future readers...2 things. A. Do NOT buy a reman pump from Auto Value. I purchased the first one a little over a year ago when I was out of town, decided I could make it home to install it. WHen I went to install it, the bosses ruined my bolts. It appears the silica sand wasn't cleaned out well and it was recoated and thrown in the oven and baked the sand in the bosses, and they run only a taper tap to clean the threads, not a bottom tap, so the pulley and thermostat bolts don't go all the way in and the tapered bottom mushrooms up the bolt. So I went to the Auto Value near my house and he ordered me another one. It was better, but I was still not super pleased with the fitting of the bolts, but was usable...cuz he wouldn't return it due to the fact that Auto Value's are independently owned, not corporate, so I understand, it is taking money out of his pocket, so I took the pump and installed it. Second issue, now, 15 months later, the gasket seems to have shrunk up and I am leaking like a siv...no matter how frugal you are, purchase a felpro gasket for the pump, regardless of the pump comes with a gasket...it is $6, just spring for it, cuz if you leak like me, you will spend more on lost coolant than the cost of the gasket. My biggest issue though, is the pump I just warrantied out ( prolly wasn't bad, but I don't want to put the one that was leaking back on, just incase it is more than the gasket leaking) and the new one has the same issue of lack of bottom tapping the bosses. So to recap, avoid Auto Value pumps...and buy a new gasket separately.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 PM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I bought the Mopar OEM. The gasket on it looks pretty heavy duty. Haven't installed yet cuz looks like the leak was from the thermostat housing. But 198K miles I'm sure I'll need it eventually.

Last edited by stenerson; 04-29-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Davedacarpainter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '02 with a 5.9 in it, so I don't know how similar the block drain plugs will be. My plugs are located on the right front, and the left rear behind the starter. The block will hold a considerable amount of fluid, plus the heater core should drain through them as well. They are a little bit of a pita to get out. I heated around the bolts briefly with a mini butane torch, that helped. When it's all drained, clean the threads of the bolts with a wire brush and put a little fresh Teflon tape on them and torque them back in to spec.

Quick Reply: Waterpump change, suggestions?