3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

two new issue's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
mrbb1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two new issue's

OK since I always get good help here, I have a couple new issue's that have me wondering what's up
this past winter I had wiper issue's
turned out the grease in the wiper motor was freezing
I had plans to clean motor and add new grease, but was so cold, just bought a new motor(still have old one, clenaed up now as a spare)
so last few days, my wipers if I turn them on, they just stay on and will not shut off, untill I shut the key off, then they will stay off, try turning them back, on, and they go right to full speed and just stay, no matter what the setting is

then the third time I turn them on(or 4th) they go back to working as normal??
would this most likely be the switch going or??

next, about 3-4 times in a 25 mile ride thru town, while stopped at a red light, I get a super strong smell of gas pouring thru thru dash vents, smells like someone spilled gas in them, then a few block later goes away
and then at random, a few miles later does it again
truck seems to run fine, just get a super strong smell of gas coming out of vents, if you turn fan on and place hand at vent it will stink like gas
then goes back to just blowing fresh air
and does this at random
what could this be from??
thanks again, appreciate any help, suggestions,/ opinions

Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first, are you sure that it's "fuel" if so, I would NOT drive my truck until that got figured out, b/c you could have a very serious risk of fire....

second it kinda sounds like the Multifunction Switch (MFS) is the culprit there.... Replace the multifunction switch and see if the problem goes away or not.

If it does not go away then it's safe to say you've got some wiring issues between the MFS and the Wipers that you will need to trace out.

The fuel smell really concerns me though dude... definitely get your fuel system pressure tested and make sure there aren't any leaks under the hood. (remember Fuel evaporates very quickly so you'll really need to look into it)

Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
abarmby
Champion

Yep..... Could be a leaky injector O ring seal or cracked/leaking fuel rail.
Spewing fuel on a hot engine = an obvious disaster!
As said above. Get it checked out urgently.
Al.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM
mrbb1
Professional

OK thanks guys
I will get it looked at at my local shop
but again, I have looked good under the hood can cannot see any signs of feul having been leaking any place(like above trottle bodies, under air intake followedfuel line and again its all looks dirty but normal dirt, not like crap was sticking to it due to fuel, or any clean spots from gas cleaning it off
and again, it does it at randon, only when stopping and starting, running non stop, never get it
and its very random, like an in town drive for a half hr maybe 2-3 times it will smell super strong for about a minute or two, then goes away
I even tried pulling over as soon as I smelled it to see if I could find a leak or??
and again, nothing I can see
its a 2006 2500 hemi, too, not a 1500
where abouts is this Multifunction Switch (MFS) is that just the wiper switch?? as mine only works my wipers and the wash function, and how do I remove it if so?
thanks again, appreciate the opinions and help

Old 04-16-2014, 03:39 PM
mrbb1
Professional

also I have not been using any more fuel than normal, so, its not like I am loosing a lot of gas, and know only take a little to get a strong smell
so?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM
chris65
Rookie

whiper- looks you have a ground problem. check the connections you loosened as you changed the motor. Also can be the relay if there is everything ok. I would check and replace the MF Switch last- it's the most expensive part- if it's not the case, you purchased the switch for nothing. dude- where do you live, that the grease in the whiper freezes???

smell: is the engine clean? if not- pressure wash the engine, dry it good (if you have no air pressure, drive it good warm) and make sure, that you don't spray on electronic parts directly to prevent issues there.
after that, get you some baby powder and powder the engine in. drive a few miles and check. this way you will find the leak and don't change things on guessing. saves some money too.

that's all I can say from here.

good luck and write if you found something.

Chris

Old 04-16-2014, 04:07 PM
mrbb1
Professional

again thanks, I live in NE PA, and from what I found out the grease in the wiper motor freezing is a common issue on dodge's
the factor grease breaks down and absorbs water, and then when temps drop, it freeze's found this out after doing some digging on this forum and other places?
I live in NE PA< but had a heck of a below normal winter this yr, had weeks ata time where it never went above like 20 degree's and had days it was way below 0, like -20 and then add in 20-30 mph winds, and that crappy factory grease forze solid I guess!

as for my motor, it is clean, I tend to keep it that way, motor was just washed about a week ago, as I figured aftyer smelling the gas smell, having a cleaner motor bay, would help make finding anything easier
I didn't dust it up to use that for a leak
but did again look it over real good and came up empty
never had gas smell coming out vents before so has me some what perplexed
as had to think smells under the hood would come trhu so strong into the cab while driving at 45-50 mph, without there beinga bunch of gas some place
and again, I have pulled over ASAP to try to locate it and none can be seen, or to be honest smelled under the hood when I stop, yet stil coming out vents?
I was wondering too if maybe a connection came loose on the new motor, as it was like 18 degree's in the back yard when I changed it and tried to rush the motor in,
so guess I might have not been so tight maybe on something going back in??
again thanks

Quick Reply: two new issue's