3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shorty headers for 4x4 Hemi

Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 AM
xjfever
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty headers for 4x4 Hemi

I have an 04 Hemi 4x4 and was confused with which headers will fit. I am looking for a shorty that will bolt in place with the stock exhaust.
I have the broken manifold bolts on the passengers side and figured a set of headers would be nice since I have to remove the manifolds anyway.
So what has fit for you? The BBK's I have seen all say for 2wd only, but have seen a few here mention they were running them with a 4x4.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by xjfever
I have an 04 Hemi 4x4 and was confused with which headers will fit. I am looking for a shorty that will bolt in place with the stock exhaust.
I have the broken manifold bolts on the passengers side and figured a set of headers would be nice since I have to remove the manifolds anyway.
So what has fit for you? The BBK's I have seen all say for 2wd only, but have seen a few here mention they were running them with a 4x4.
Sorry to jump on your thread bud, if you get a set and fit them would you post up what they're like?
Fitting and especially performance.
Read lots of people say the shorties are just not worth the cash, having little if any difference real world to the stockers??
I would like to think that with a tuned design etc, the shorties would make a feelable butt o'meter difference at the very least Lol.
Al.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
xjfever
Professional

Originally Posted by abarmby
Sorry to jump on your thread bud, if you get a set and fit them would you post up what they're like?
Fitting and especially performance.
Read lots of people say the shorties are just not worth the cash, having little if any difference real world to the stockers??
I would like to think that with a tuned design etc, the shorties would make a feelable butt o'meter difference at the very least Lol.
Al.
I talked to BBK and they said the headers would fit a 4x4 model, so I pulled the plug on the 40090 series.
I will update this once they are here and I have time to install them.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 PM
abarmby
Champion

I talked to BBK and they said the headers would fit a 4x4 model, so I pulled the plug on the 40090 series.
I will update this once they are here and I have time to install them.
Looking forward to the update
Al.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by abarmby
Looking forward to the update
Al.

I had a set of BBK shorties on my 06 2 wd. They aren't going to make as much hp as LT's but they do make good torque numbers. They are 14 gauge chrome plated steel, (very heavy metal) with 3/8's flanges. The install was done in my garage with hand tools and floor jacks. They are a very good product. Ran them 6 years with no leaks. I don't know who said shorties weren't any better than stock but whoever it was doesn't know anything about our trucks. Hell, 1 7/8 inch pvc would be better than stock. Take out the inner fenders when installing. On mine the passenger side exhaust hooked right up, the drivers side I had trouble getting enough clearance when putting the header in place, so I cut the pipe behind the cat, moved it out of the way, and then installed that side, then took it to a muffler shop and they welded it back together . Good luck. Patience and about 4-5 hours and you should be done

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 04-08-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, the stock manifolds are kinda cheesy. If you go LTs the install isn't bad you just have to lengthen the rear O2 wires about 14" as it pushes the cats back a little I saved a good bit of $$$ by going Pacesetters but then gave the saving right back by having a local shop ceramic coat them. Still in great shape 8 years later.

Shorties will still be a hell of a lot better than stock. I've never heard a complaint about the BBKs, but if your pockets are deep enough check out the Borla XR1s, crazy gains for a 100% bolt on shorty...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-09-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
xjfever
Professional

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
I had a set of BBK shorties on my 06 2 wd. They aren't going to make as much hp as LT's but they do make good torque numbers. They are 14 gauge chrome plated steel, (very heavy metal) with 3/8's flanges. The install was done in my garage with hand tools and floor jacks. They are a very good product. Ran them 6 years with no leaks. I don't know who said shorties weren't any better than stock but whoever it was doesn't know anything about our trucks. Hell, 1 7/8 inch pvc would be better than stock. Take out the inner fenders when installing. On mine the passenger side exhaust hooked right up, the drivers side I had trouble getting enough clearance when putting the header in place, so I cut the pipe behind the cat, moved it out of the way, and then installed that side, then took it to a muffler shop and they welded it back together . Good luck. Patience and about 4-5 hours and you should be done
Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yeah, the stock manifolds are kinda cheesy. If you go LTs the install isn't bad you just have to lengthen the rear O2 wires about 14" as it pushes the cats back a little I saved a good bit of $$$ by going Pacesetters but then gave the saving right back by having a local shop ceramic coat them. Still in great shape 8 years later.

Shorties will still be a hell of a lot better than stock. I've never heard a complaint about the BBKs, but if your pockets are deep enough check out the Borla XR1s, crazy gains for a 100% bolt on shorty...
Thanks for the replies. I got the BBK'S today, very fast shipping and they look great. Hopefully I can get them on Saturday or Sunday and see if they perform as well as they look.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:11 PM
xjfever
Professional

Got the headers on today. Install was a total PITA though. There were two broken bolts on the passengers side and one on the drivers side (all in rear). 'I got the drivers side out easily and the top bolt on the passengers side wasn't too difficult, but the lower bolt on the pass. side was too hard to get to with my smallest drill, so I went to Home depot and bought a right angle drill. I got the hole off center and couldn't fix it, I had drilled to far already, once I got the EZ-out in there I gave it a turn and popped it off in the bolt.
I gave up and just installed them anyway. There is a small leak, but nothing like it was before. I will take it to a shop later and have them fix it.
On the drivers side the steering shaft and starter had to be removed and then the bottom bolts were still only accessible with a short 10MM wrench at 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time.
As far as sound it isn't that noticeably different outside, just a little louder in the cab.
I honestly got nothing on the butt dyno, but they look nice

Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 AM
abarmby
Champion

Got the headers on today. Install was a total PITA though. There were two broken bolts on the passengers side and one on the drivers side (all in rear). 'I got the drivers side out easily and the top bolt on the passengers side wasn't too difficult, but the lower bolt on the pass. side was too hard to get to with my smallest drill, so I went to Home depot and bought a right angle drill. I got the hole off center and couldn't fix it, I had drilled to far already, once I got the EZ-out in there I gave it a turn and popped it off in the bolt.
I gave up and just installed them anyway. There is a small leak, but nothing like it was before. I will take it to a shop later and have them fix it.
On the drivers side the steering shaft and starter had to be removed and then the bottom bolts were still only accessible with a short 10MM wrench at 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time.
As far as sound it isn't that noticeably different outside, just a little louder in the cab.
Not hitting on your choice of headers or anything but......that's what I was worried about when I tagged onto your post.
A lot of cash but no noticeable gains.
Despite what people say about the poor stock headers which they probably are compared to the supposedly superior shorties, they turn out to be a lot of money for little go if any, in the "real world".
Good luck on getting that last bolt fixed. I understand your pain on getting those little suckers out. Not on my current ride, but a long distant other.
Al.

Al.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

I think the install wasn't a pita because of BBK but because you didn't soak the bolts with penetrating fluid before trying to unscrew them. Look on the bright side, you now have a mod just waiting for another mod to help the first mod. Tuner next or CAI would be good and then that butt feeling would start working. Especially with the Tuner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shorty headers for 4x4 Hemi