3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced radiator, now the fan hits shroud

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
neonarc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced radiator, now the fan hits shroud

Hi guys, I havent posted here before but Ive been reading helpful post for years but I couldnt find anything related to this.

I just got the radiator replaced by a shop and now the engine fan hits the bottom part of the shroud when bolted up. Temporary solution was to use a wire to tie the shroud to the upper left mounting bolt hole and let it hang lower so the fan wont hit it.

I think they got the alignment off somewhere since its off by no more than an inch, but they were dead set that they didnt when its obvious because the fan was not hitting before they replaced the radiator. The radiator is the exact same oem replacement so I ruled that out. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
chris65
Rookie

all I can tell you is: if they would had done it right, the fan would not hit the shroud.
I would go back and let them fix it.
if you don't want to go back, remove the shroud and install it correctly.
another possibility is, that they installed the radiator offset, the wrong radiator size or they forgot some mounting parts.
hard to say without the vehicle.
I don't even believe that they delivered the vehicle to you- they must had noticed it- if you change the radiator you got to let it run to get the air out and check, if everything is right.
btw- to change a radiator there is no whichcraft necessary. one of the easy tasks- and if they can't even do that- what do they do, if it gets complicated???

sorry- but I always get angry when I hear about people who call them self techs and everything they do has an issue after they touched it.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
rought
Professional

try to find another truck to compare it too. see if you can see were they went wrong.
also check your motor mounts mabye they jacked up the engine to get it out of the way and make it easier to remove the fan shroud and broke a motor mount ..

Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
abarmby
Champion

I agree with chris65
If they can't fit a radiator.......
Only thing I can think of is, if it's a 5.7 Hemi, there's two mounting posts each side on the bottom of the rad.
These fit into two mounting rubbers in the front crossmember.
If they haven't located these into their correct positions, the whole rad would be installed high.
That would make the shroud subsequently foul the fan.
Either way, who are these muppets who can't sort this out for you??
Get someone who knows what they're doing to sort it, then charge those cowboy mechanics.
Al.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
neonarc

They definitely messed it up but they tried to tell me it was already like that, obvious BS of course.

I think they mounted it wrong in one of the front mounting posts, specifically the drivers side. Im going to loosen all the mounts and remove the shroud and fit it back together correctly, hopefully that will be all.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM
neonarc

PS: They won't fix it since they say it was already like that. First time going to this shop since it was close and cheap, and I am low in cash and time. I will not be returning at all. You get what you pay for, always try to remember that since it always bites me in the rear when I go to the lowest bidder.

Cheers

Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 PM
chris65
Rookie

buy cheap, pay twice...always been this way.
even if it was this way before, which was obviously not the case- if so, it would had done already damage to the shroud - why they did not do it right, after they had it apart?

what bothers me is, that they did not understand one thing:

all the battles in the world history- there is one battle nobody ever won- the battle with the customer.
I would have done it as "service" to make the customer happy and make him wanna come back with the "big stuff".

Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Bout all you can do now is fix it yourself and make sure you let folks know what shop NOT to use.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Veibz
Professional

Shroud and/or radiator is not mounted correctly on the bottom. Easy to do. Sounds like a good time to get an electric fan from mid-late 90's ford Taurus/sable and do an E-fan conversion. I love mine!

Quick Reply: Replaced radiator, now the fan hits shroud