3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Irritating, intermittent security system problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM
07Mega59
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irritating, intermittent security system problems

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel Mega Cab that has been giving me security system problems since I bought it used (7000 miles) in 2009. It now has about 30,000 miles on it.

Here is the problem: I insert the key, turn to start, and nothing happens. The only way to get it to start is to cycle lock and unlock on the key until the red security light comes on - then it will start. This may require 1, or 100 cycles.

Here are things I have tried:
I took it to the dealer about a year ago and they told me I did not have the original key. They made me 3 new keys and reprogramed them to the vehicle. Charged me about $500. I did not have any more problems until 2 or 3 months later, and then only seldom. Now it seems about 1 chance out of 3 it's not going to start until I cycle the lock/unlock on the key 1 - 100 times (or more). I have recently installed new batteries. I have tried disconnecting (both batteries) and reconnecting (after about a half hour) in an attempt to reset the "module". Using any of the three keys does not seem to matter. Sometimes when I recycle the lock/unlock on the key and then turn it to "on", nothing on the dash will illuminate except the mileage indicator. Turning it to "start" will usually activate the dash, but not always.

It's my understanding that this security system is an option for this vehicle. The dealer told me they could not bypass it - that it is part of the ECU. At this point, I might be willing to swap out my ECU for one without this option. Does anyone know if this can be done?

I sure hate to take this back to the dealer. I know they will "skin me alive" financially. Does anyone have some experiences or suggestions?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
07Mega59
Smile

Ok, I have more information now - so I guess I'll answer my own post. I took my Ram to the dealer and they said it had yet another aftermarket security system spiced into the original system. They said this was tricking the computer into thinking the engine was running when it wasn't. They removed the aftermarket system and returned the wiring to original. Didn't get "skinned" after all. They charged me $334 which I didn't think was too unreasonable. Truck hasn't failed to start since. The dealer was Allen Samuels at Alliance (just north of Fort Worth).

Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

So, they charged you $334 to remove the module and thats not getting 'skinned'? They could have just unplugged it. Even removing the t-taps doesn;t take all that much time.

They should have removed it for free after telling you it was your keys the first time and charging you $500. Just saying.

Well, on the good. You got it taken care of. Thanks for updating your thread.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM
07Mega59

I guess your right - I did get "skinned". Probably an equivalent term for "taking it to the dealer".

Quick Reply: Irritating, intermittent security system problems