3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 1500 Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Convincer253
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 1500 Wheel Bearings

As far as I can tell and have read on this site and others...Basically the front wheel bearing....as a pretty crappy design and there are and have been numerous failures...regardless of miles and or age.....Guess what...I got one that's going out..... im going to go ahead and change them both...since the other..probably isn't far behind....BIG QUESTION....

Who hasthe best wheel bearing/hub assemblies....real life.....from what I have read...Napa has good ones and they have a 1 yr 12000 mile warranty...(at least our napa does)....

the other popular one I keep seeing is MEVOTECH...I don't know anymore than what I have read....

SO LETS HEAR IT...which one do I use

Wish they made one that greaseable ...but...not that I can find or have read about....leaning towards NAPA...but am open to any and all suggestions....

Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Buggsy
Professional

To be fair, I don't think I've owned but one car that I didn't replace at least one wheel bearing on. And I only owned that car for 11,000 miles. It's a wear and tare item that will fail on any vehicle.

I've been getting Moog hubs lately. They have a 3 year warranty and a good reputation around here. I've used cheaper hubs for family that didn't have the money for better parts. I ordered my Moog hub from RockAuto for about $125 after shipping. A fair price compared to local places that wanted to sell a generic brand for $125+tax.

I like Napa as a store ok. For years they were my only option, but I really don't want to buy Napa branded parts. If I buy Moog, I know that I'm getting Moog. If I buy Napa, I don't know where it came from, or if they switched manufactures 3 times this year.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timken is best and the most costly.....

Old taper rollers went 150,000 and were 12 bucks each....
new design.... big money and crap...

mine lasted 31,000.....

Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
rought
Professional

I believe oreillys auto has lifetime warranty on there's,, at least thats what they told me.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pay once, cry once. With that in mind, don't focus on price and always consider quality. Examine each brand/part at the store and buy the one Made in USA.

I went through something similar with u-joints on my 2nd Gen, ending up buying a mixed set (one USA and the other China). Guess which u-joint wasn't made to spec and couldn't be installed? Returned to the store, discovered the issue, and happily paid the difference in price.

As would be expected, the other Made in USA u-joint install went flawlessly.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Convincer253
Amateur

im not worried about cost at all..i just want a good assembly....Didn't know moog made them...will look and see...thanks all

Old 04-24-2014, 02:50 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced mine with timkens. Around $125 from rock auto.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:53 PM
DaveCinHutto
Amateur
Default Howling roaring from the front

Just thought I would put the howling or roaring in the title in case some one was looking to figure out what the heck is that noise and why did it start.
Thanks for heads up on Rock Auto, the local "auto parts" stores carry a lot of cheap junk. My son replaced the fronts on his Blazer with the cheapo from China, he got it to roll about a hunert feet and the right side ate itself. I don't care to fix stuff more than once of I can prevent it!
I went with Timken.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 PM
nkyhemi
Rookie

Driver side went out on mine at 142k. replaced with Timken.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:42 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Pay once, cry once. With that in mind, don't focus on price and always consider quality. Examine each brand/part at the store and buy the one Made in USA.

I went through something similar with u-joints on my 2nd Gen, ending up buying a mixed set (one USA and the other China). Guess which u-joint wasn't made to spec and couldn't be installed? Returned to the store, discovered the issue, and happily paid the difference in price.

As would be expected, the other Made in USA u-joint install went flawlessly.
If you find made in USA hubs please let me know. Last Timkens I bought were made in Korea. To the OP buy a reputable brand and cross your fingers they last because that's pretty much what you get with parts these days.

Quick Reply: 07 1500 Wheel Bearings