3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any experience with the Lifetime warranty? My 4.7 just bought the farm

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM
RebornxShiznat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience with the Lifetime warranty? My 4.7 just bought the farm

So a few months back I posted a video of my 4.7 making what I thought was an odd ticking. Under the advisory of some good people here I got it looked at by a professional/dealer.. they told me no worries seems totally normal for a 4.7.. fast forward to today.

I had some errands to run before work. Truck ran perfectly fine for about 6 miles. I was about to get on the free way so I rolled up my windows and had music playing, truck wasn't making any odd noises. I got on the highway was sitting in sixth gear, went to make a pass and felt like I had no power.. almost like I was going into a really strong headwind.. turned down the radio and I hear the knocking.. almost immediately I start to slow down and put the 4 ways on, clutch in and in neutral.. MIL begins flashing and the truck stalls before I get stopped. 3 key turn shows no stored codes, I tried to start it again and it fired up but immediately more noise so I shut it down, called dealer and got it towed.

The truck is an 08 RCSB 4.7 with the six speed manual 4x4. 75k miles on the ticker. The dealer was cool about it and said they won't be able to look at it until next week. I have other transportation but I have some serious concerns.. 1 if dodge is going to try and shaft me on the warranty stating abuse or something stupid. The truck has had oil changes every 3k miles, all scheduled maintenance done on time, never overheated, never beaten on, in fact the tow driver said to me "wow this is the cleanest 6 year old truck I've ever seen". I'm just stunned that something so well kept after would **** the bed at less than 100k.......... Anyone else had to make a claim on the lifetime warranty? If so how did it go? and if you were me what would you recommend? I'm thinking once it's fixed just selling it.. my confidence in the vehicle is absolutely shaken

Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you have your mandatory 5-year dealer inspection done on it for the warranty?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:26 AM
RebornxShiznat

Absolutely, and I have the paperwork for it as well!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:44 AM
chris65
Rookie

then you should be good.
just a maybe stupid question- but I know what I've seen on mine- did you ever checked the spark plugs?
I bought mine with 103000 miles and due to the book, every single maintenance was done- stamped off by dodge dealer. but because I'm funny about trusting, my first actions on a "new" vehicle in my driveway are: change all the fluids, belts and spark plugs. well... from the spark plugs, which should had been changed every 60000 miles- where I think that's 300000 too long- was nothing left over. I mean the cathode was completely burned down to the ground- wonder that they even fired.
I change my oil every 7000miles with high mileage oil from castrol - I don't tow and I have a pretty much straight way with 30 miles just highway at 65 mph - every 30000 latest the spark plugs are replaced. you will notice this significant at your gas mileage.
That's why I say- check the spark plugs always. it's worth it.

I hope there is nothing serious damaged- good luck.

Chris

Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't let your confidence be 'shaken' after what sounds to be like a rocker slip.
Sounds like you have a 'relatively' minor cylinder head issue. specifically your roller rocker valve probably came off. This would involve pulling the head, machining it and re-assembling it.
This happens when the lash adjuster fails to maintain pressure which generally is caused by build-up. This is more prone to happen with low mileage vehicles because they sit, drive very short distances..etc Also happens to neglected oil change vehicles as well, but more so to short trip lower mileage vehicles.
I would highly reccomend after getting it repaired you run 1Qt of Marvel Mystery oil in the engine for 500miles and then do a fresh oil change. I would not tell the dealership you plan on doing this either!!!!
This will clean out any sludge or carbon type build up through out your engine. You'll be surprised how dirty the oil will be after just 500miles. If it comes out clean, then you know your engine is spotless inside. I've done this to every vehicle I've ever owned. Never once had any issue's!

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 AM
RebornxShiznat

Chris, the truck had spark plugs done at 30k and 60k miles. The 08 4.7 has two sets of plugs, ones on the top side of the cylinder head are done every 30k. The bottom set isn't due until 100k. So current plugs only have 15k miles on them, also I know there was an obvious misfire but metal on metal noises are not hard to miss. Something ate it inside the engine.

Dirty,
I'm going to ride it out with the dealer here and see. With the marvel oil I may just do that. I will say the oil has been changed every 3000 miles with Mobil1 extended performance 5w-20 motor oil and a mobil1 filter. The truck has never been neglected and generally doesn't sit too much. I have a motorcycle I ride on nice days and I have a 1 hour commute to work so it gets a good amount of highway mileage.

I am hoping the warranty covers it. If it doesn't I'll honestly be looking at selling the truck for scrap. I leave for North Carolina for 8 months at the end of may for training at my job and I will have a company car the entire time. I'm not gonna put money into a truck that's just gonna sit. It's paid off and TBH I've had quite a few issues engine wise with this truck. From years 1-3 it spent months in the shop with fuel system CEL's and Rough idle CEL's. Dealer could never fix it.. they even had to get an engineer from chrysler sent out to look at. I have a stack of over 40 invoices from 800 miles on the truck up to 45k miles. and it even through the same CEL at 58k miles. So point being I've had a lot of problems with this truck. So considering I won't need a car for 6-8 months.. either it's fixed under warranty or I sell it just to be done with it.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 AM
chris65
Rookie

bad to hear that you had so much bad luck.
honestly- I would not had dealed with all the repairs from new on- they would had it back on the lot and I would had have a new one on their cost.
That there is something with the ignition or the fuel injection, shows the history of your truck. can not believe that they found nothing and just leave it.
was the coils replaced? PCM replaced? Fuel Injectors replaced? shaft timing sensors replaced? etc...
and a missfire can hit a hole in your piston btw.
I would be interested what the issue was, because everything from here would be just speculation.
I also agree with dirtydog about the valve rod. They all ticking when the vehicle is cold but should go away after a few seconds- max. 30 seconds or so.
but if the valves for the rods are locked up, they usually don't pump up- the worst case what can happen is, that the valve don't open completely and you loosing power.
does not mean that nothing can brake how dirtydog said.
I do not agree with these "cleaning additives". If yo take care of your engine and do the oilchanges as often as you do, there is no need for this anyway. I drive everyday 38 miles one way to work and when I make my oil change after 7000mls, my oil is almost clean as new.
I have seen from engine damages till every single seal leaking everything due to these additives. In a modern oil is everything what you need, if you don't buy the cheap autozone house brand. Castrol and Mobil 1 was always my first choice- but I'm sure, all the others are as same as good- it's just- I like them.
the worst stuff you can put into your engine is slick 50. I know some people swear on it, but they never took an engine apart, after that stuff was in for 10000 miles...
My worldview is: if something breaks, replace it and do it right and do not try to put a bandaid on it and hope it will last.
when your engine oil is very dirty after short while, I would look where it comes from and fix it. and if I don't want to fix it- sell it.

Good luck!!!

Chris

Last edited by chris65; 04-25-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 AM
RebornxShiznat

O man the list of parts replaced on this truck. 02 sensors, cat/ypipe assembly, exhaust manifold, PCM, PCV Valve, Intake Manifold, Fuel injectors.. after the injectors the MIL problem went away... until around 58k it threw the cold start rough idle again.. couldn't find anything other than a TSB for reflash... Now at 75k kaboom.

I shouldn't have dealt with it.. Here's the thing by the time issues surfaced the 08's were done, I special ordered this truck to have the six speed and RCSB.. I wouldn't have been able to get those options in a ram truck. So I stuck it through....... Big mistake looking back now.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
chris65
Rookie

I would wait until they know what's broken and why.
I know how it is, if you special order a car. Did that too and sticked more than necessary to it but I pulled the emergency brake as it was too much and sold it. Most stupid thing- the guy who bought it had no issues at all no more after my last repair before I sold it.
I worked at a dealership as service manager and knew when the car came in and talked to the guy- he was never happier with a car...

did you checked the gas tank if there is any dirt in? I mean regarding the Injectors...

Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 PM
RebornxShiznat

I never had the tank checked.. Nor did the dealer. Granted I'm the one who put every single tank of gas in it... I would see no reason for dirt but who knows.

All of those parts were replaced to fix the issue of it throwing a CEL for P0174 (fuel lean bank 2) and P050D (cold start rough idle) The CEL would go on almost every two weeks. Took almost 3 years to finally have the issue resolved.

there's the video of the noise I was hearing with the truck that I posted here a ways back.

Last edited by RebornxShiznat; 04-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Any experience with the Lifetime warranty? My 4.7 just bought the farm