3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just replaced right rear axle seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Willy McNasty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just replaced right rear axle seal

Yesterday finished up replacing both rear axle seal as the right was leaking pretty badly. Drove maybe a total of 50 miles & it's leaking again. Could it have been leaking from somewhere else to begin with? When I got Italy apart there was gear oil everywhere so I didn't think about the possibility of it leaking from another place. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

I'm sure anyone with more experience would have caught this...I did notice some wear on the bearing. After consulting someone more experienced than I I've come to find out the axle is scarred from the bearing where it has detèriorated . A new axle shaft & bearing should fix me up.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
rought
Professional

are you sure you didnt put them on backwards? Its easy to do..I replaced mine at 190,000 and my axels were fine, no leaks.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

Haha I'm not quite that Ameritex but that is easy to do for sure. The seals were installed correctly. The bearing & axle are worn so they don't marry up correctly & have too much play so there is not a good seal between them @ the seal. There were metal shavings at the seal.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 AM
timekop
Professional

As cheap as the bearings are, a guy might as well replace both seal and bearings. Kinda hard to believe your axle would have been damaged so badly. Hope you got it fixed.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

Originally Posted by timekop
As cheap as the bearings are, a guy might as well replace both seal and bearings. Kinda hard to believe your axle would have been damaged so badly. Hope you got it fixed.
Yes, it's been leak free for a few hundred miles now. New axle bearing & seal. I anyone is interested I can post pictures of the old axle.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by ***** McNasty
Yes, it's been leak free for a few hundred miles now. New axle bearing & seal. I anyone is interested I can post pictures of the old axle.
Not giving you work to do but, could you post up those pics of the damaged axle.
Many thanks.
Al.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

ANY time you replace the seals AND/OR bearings, you should use emery paper on the axle shafts to remove any shiny areas, ridges and corrosion on the outer edge that the seal rides on. Pitting is the biggest thing you would look for with wear.

Quick Reply: Just replaced right rear axle seal