3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shock replacement procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 03:02 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shock replacement procedure

So I've been searching the interwebs and can't come across a video or write up on how to change the shocks on my 2008 2WD 1500. Is it the same basic procedure as the 3rd gen 4x4s? Also I got my new shocks (ES9000s) from 4 wheel parts and I called to confirm they sent me the right size for my 6" Fabtech lift and when I hold them up to the Fabtech shocks the Pro Comps are bigger. Will this be an issue with installing or will it just make it ride differently? Thanks guys!

Old 05-31-2014, 11:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

On mine, there are two bolts or nuts on the bottom and one nut on the top. They slide out of the bottom.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:45 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use ramps and keep the weight on the suspension. Very easy task. The top stud on the shock may be a 9mm. If you don't have one, vise grips will help hold it steady while you loosen the nut. Removal is top first, then the bottom. Reverse for re-install.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:45 AM
tantofolder
Professional

For some reason I thought we had struts...but I looked under there and it's just a simple shock inside the coil spring.My shop manual says to support the truck on jackstands,remove the tire,and support the lower control arm with a jack.Then remove the 3 shock nuts,and remove shock from the bottom.Install in reverse order.Much simpler than I had thought.Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah. I don't think you can use ramps as there the shock exits through the bottom, the ramp would be in the way. I have a set of ramps that are like new because I never use them. I always use my floor jack and since my truck is lifted (high enough), I don't need anything to change my oil.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I just park in a sloped parking spot to do my oil so it drains more. But yea in all the videos I've seen for the 4x4s no one uses ramps. I'm still debating on removing the wheel vs just turning it as I've seen both done also and they took about the same amount of time. The shocks came straps on to hold them compressed so I think I'll try to keep those on as long as I can since I've heard trying to compress them is a bitch and a half and I don't want to juggle compressing them and trying to screw back in the bottom bolts. But it looks like a straightforward process I just wanted to be sure before I went at it. I'm probably gonna attempt it tomorrow as today I'm doing touch up painting since some random ******* keyed my truck twice in a 3 day period.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Yeah. I don't think you can use ramps as there the shock exits through the bottom, the ramp would be in the way. I have a set of ramps that are like new because I never use them. I always use my floor jack and since my truck is lifted (high enough), I don't need anything to change my oil.
I used my ramps for the fronts. I've done this many times. No clearance issues. Didn't need anything for the rears.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:39 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Yea I just park in a sloped parking spot to do my oil so it drains more. But yea in all the videos I've seen for the 4x4s no one uses ramps. I'm still debating on removing the wheel vs just turning it as I've seen both done also and they took about the same amount of time. The shocks came straps on to hold them compressed so I think I'll try to keep those on as long as I can since I've heard trying to compress them is a bitch and a half and I don't want to juggle compressing them and trying to screw back in the bottom bolts. But it looks like a straightforward process I just wanted to be sure before I went at it. I'm probably gonna attempt it tomorrow as today I'm doing touch up painting since some random ******* keyed my truck twice in a 3 day period.
4x4s are different. It's a strut, not a shock. You have to compress the old strut to remove and the new one to install.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
On mine, there are two bolts or nuts on the bottom and one nut on the top. They slide out of the bottom.

Exactly^^^^ and you change these out just like you would change shocks on any number of cars or trucks with shocks...so you shouldn't need a video if you've ever replaced shocks before. I don't see ramps getting in the way since your tires will be sitting on them and not restrict the old shocks coming out one bit. Personally I used a floor jack and took the wheels off and did the job in less than two hours for all four shocks. With the wheels off you can see quite a bit better if you are working from the side.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
I used my ramps for the fronts. I've done this many times. No clearance issues. Didn't need anything for the rears.
Good to know.

Quick Reply: Shock replacement procedure