3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door seams are rusting out.. fender rusted out from mud flap..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default door seams are rusting out.. fender rusted out from mud flap..

Last year I tried to repair rust on my door iseams and front fenders, now the bottom portion of THE fenders are gone..basically the holes for the front mud flaps rusted out, but, the door seems under the rubber molding are in bad bad bad shape.

Whats a good rust removal chemical a guy can buy in Canada?

Im glueing the front fender holes and where this is no metal with PL 400, after I remove as much rust as I can..

Best soultion is a set of used fenders but im done attempting to keep this truck as new as pissiable..spite..!!

Thiers a lot of re sanding to do and my goal is to keep my truck from rotting out at a minimum cost.

Im crazy to invest in a new truck and damage is easy to hide.

Not a speck of rust on THE cab or box..

Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Two good things to use are IronX and Ospho. These are both good rust killers. Next would be POR15.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Davedacarpainter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you post pictures of the damage? I can tell more from that.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Never had much luck posting pics. ..will try..

On a third gen thiers a rubber moulding on the the doors, I removed mine and the lower door seam all the way up to the door latch is flaky and pipted with rust.

Door is not rusted out but the front lower portions of the fenders rusted out from THE screws from my oem mopar mud flaps...

I treid a can of bees wax rust penetrating fluid and a similar product from keen flow and it sorta works, but it leaves behind a waxy film..

Here's to hoping for sone sunny hot weather! !

When I get the rust out the doors, primer paint and than im thinking of adding a can of truck box liner ( spray on line x) to stop moisture .

Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You will have to treat both sides, so the door seams are probably not going to be saved as they will just rust from the inside out. That is, unless you straight up pour POR15 down the inside of the door..lol Even then, it wouldnt be properly prepped.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:53 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

I thought abought selling my truck and buying a old beater truck, Now I realized I have a old beater truck to make into a hobby..!!

All I care about is slowing down the rust,.box and cab are near mint, if I decide to throw money into this, doors and fenders are still cheaper than a 2014 in 2020 that will do exactly what my 06 is doing rust wise..

Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Buy a bottle of Ospho. You can get it online but check local auto parts stores and painted the shops. Put it in a spray bottle and use it thy way. You can also "paint" it on with a brush. It is were me, I would do that, let it dry and then use LPS-3 (kinda like your beeswax) and put on top afterwards. This too leaves a waxy film to prevent air/water from getting to it.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:55 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Cant find any good rust removal chemicals in Calgary auto parts stores, body shop suppliers, ect, Princess auto is a strike out...rust check or jelly applied with a brush Keen flo hony gue, or the bees wax I have tried is doing nothing..grinder time!!

Im not expecting a quick soultion for rust to be gone...but im going to try a can of oven cleaner. ...paints toast any way...

CLR, baking soda, white vinerger tried them to..

If no luck,:I will order up recommended rust removals on line...

If any one has patriot blue fenders and doors for a 06 close to calgary, :let me know..thanks .

Quick Reply: door seams are rusting out.. fender rusted out from mud flap..