3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Light Flash when locking/unlocking doors

Old 07-14-2014, 04:16 AM
thunderhawk09
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Light Flash when locking/unlocking doors

My HID Headlights Flash on when using the Fob To Lock/Unlock Doors and Iv noticed at night when I open my rear doors for first time after shutting truck off they will flash on has anyone else had this Issue I don't see it as A big Deal but Curious to know how many more have this and If they know Why because headlight are not on Parking lights and and headlights are not on Interior lights non of them should be cross circuits so the only thing I can Figure is so kind of static Interference I First thought RF Interference From Key FOB but It Don't Just Happen with the FOB Any Idea's

Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, The Key FOB is not powerful enough to create interference like that.

Where did you ground your HIDs?

What Brand of Ballasts, Load Resistors, and Relay Harness did you use?

I'm assuming this is on your 05 Ram 1500 QC, if not specify year and model...

I think that you might be short circuiting between your parking lights and headlights, so you might want to check to see if any wires are corroded and/or damaged that are shorting to your HID relay.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM
thunderhawk09
Rookie

Originally Posted by Izero
First, The Key FOB is not powerful enough to create interference like that.

Where did you ground your HIDs?

What Brand of Ballasts, Load Resistors, and Relay Harness did you use?

I'm assuming this is on your 05 Ram 1500 QC, if not specify year and model...

I think that you might be short circuiting between your parking lights and headlights, so you might want to check to see if any wires are corroded and/or damaged that are shorting to your HID relay.

First of all technology now days anythings possible if the ballast can cause radio issues with some Hid Conversions they RF Interference should not be ruled out but that's not my case anyway cause the Interior Lights Coming on from doors opening that first time each time is doing it so may be Interference though ground I would not thinks but again like I said Just When I think iv seen it all In Electrical Work Something New Comes Up Iv Got The Ballast Grounded to Cross frame under hood the harness ground was just long enough to go to the cross member bolt on each side I started to Lengthen Them And Go Straight To Battery I May Try That And See What Happens Iv Been Doing Electrical Work Since I was 10 So When Something Does Not Work Just Right I Get ILL Im Touchy About Getting My Electrical Jobs Just right and yes its my 2005 ram

Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of cheaper ballast do cause RF interference because they are not shielded internally. You will normally see issues with them causing static in the AM/FM station.

When unlocking the doors it is normal to see them HIDs blip or flash because the PCM at some point it's certain circuits to sleep or hibernate. When unlock, it sends a signal to wake them up. But because the ballasts are just that, ballasts AKA high energy startup devices with internal capacitors that store energy, that brief signal is enough to quickly fire the ballasts and ignite the bulbs.

Hope this helps

Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of cheaper ballast do cause RF interference because they are not shielded internally. You will normally see issues with them causing static in the AM/FM station.

When unlocking the doors it is normal to see them HIDs blip or flash because the PCM at some point it's certain circuits to sleep or hibernate. When unlock, it sends a signal to wake them up. But because the ballasts are just that, ballasts AKA high energy startup devices with internal capacitors that store energy, that brief signal is enough to quickly fire the ballasts and ignite the bulbs.

Hope this helps

Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM
thunderhawk09
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe

Hope this helps
Yeah that pretty much what I thought Just Checking to see if there was something I missed thanks weedahoe that Confirmed it for me

Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 AM
icywhite
Rookie

yeah mine does that to sometimes

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheaper ballasts can cause RF interference but the key FOB cannot cause the interference.

Which is also why I asked what brand equipment you installed....

Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine flash as well. Seems normal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID Light Flash when locking/unlocking doors