Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this a power steering pump bracket flaw???

Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Captain
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Default Is this a power steering pump bracket flaw???

I stated on an earlier post that my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 snapped my power steering pump off the block, shearing two bolts and snapping the bracket off the third. I found the part number, 53032750AA. However, I found that it's discontinued. Then, the guy told me that Mopar recommends replacing the bracket whenever replacing the power steering pump. That would explain a lot, as everyone around here sells the pump and bracket in tandem, but then again, nobody can keep them long enough for me to find them. Don't get me wrong, I would buy a used pump (and bracket) just FOR the bracket if need be, but it seems I just bought the last one that someone had stored on a shelf on the East Coast, in Florida, no less. I took the remnants of my old one to my buddy at my local machine shop, and he said he could build a nearly bulletproof replica, but the price would be above $500. My question is, is this a freak accident? Or, is Mopar right on this one? I can't afford for my tow rig to die forever from lack of a a power steering pump bracket.......
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!

99 Ram Sport 1500 4X4, 5.2, NV4500HD, 2 door extended cab to 4 door conversion, 37" Goodyear RT II on double beadlock HMMWV 24 bolt rims
03 Ram SLT 2500 4X4, 8.0, plow package, upgrades to come soon
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 03 1500 5.7, 2000 Neon, 1986 Vmax, 96 Bayliner, 99 Scarab, 86 Fazer
jeff sidwell jeff sidwell jeff sidwell ohgro
Send a message via AIM to TejasMtnBiker Send a message via MSN to TejasMtnBiker

I'd just take the broken one & weld nice a strong with some 1/8th plate or take it to a welding shop an have them beef it up then paint it black, seems like a lotta torque on that pump
Old 07-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Normally when that happens its because whatever got ripped off locked up and would not spin so the belt grabs it and pulls it till something gives. Had this happen to a water pump and to a few power steering pumps on different cars throughout the years. Even if it free spins now, I would replace The pump.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 ST

I may have the bracket that you need. The one I have is from an 06 cummins, if you can determine if it will work let me know.
HO Cams, Volant CAI, SCT(X3) Tuned by Flyin Ryan, Power Wire, JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, Magnaflow 14", Flex a lite 183 E-Fan, 180 T-Stat, 08 Intake Manifold, F&B 72MM TB, 1 Ton Trans Cooler, Motive 4.56 LSD, Ready to install: NX Proton Plus Kit, NX GENX-2 ACC Kit, Killian's P&P Heads & Beehive Springs, Edge 3K TC.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 PM