3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittant running issues

Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Intermittant running issues

I have an 03 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi QuadCab 4X4 with 160K miles. Mostly stock just a CAI. It runs fine most of the time, but when I take a trip long enough to warm it up and let it sit for 45 min to an hour then start it up again it tries to stall, bucks and surges. This goes on for a minute or so then runs fine. The only code that is set is P0441 incorrect evap purge, but that code has been there for a year or so and this running problem just started a week ago. No new codes are set while the poor running is going on. I have the code reader attached while the issue is happening and everything seems fine the only data that is way off is LT fuel trim -31.8.

Running 89 octane, cleaned TB, checked MAP sensor and IAT and both seem fine.

Anything else I should check.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 AM
SoBadass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get some one to Lsiten to your fuel pump when you start it and so if it grinding or make weird noise.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie

Fuel pump sounds fine at start up. Hopefully it is not that, those are expensive and look like a pain in the *** to change.

I had a 3.5 hour 220 mile drive home yesterday and it ran pretty good most of the time. I had the cruise set at 72 and I only had running issues (surging, stumbling etc) a couple of times. Each time it was on a downhill coast with the cruise on. Again had the scanner attached and all data looked fine during the events except long term fuel trim.

Averaged 72 MPH on the highway and 14.7 MPG for the 400+ mile round trip with a few hundred pounds of gear in the back.

The only code is still P0441 evap incorrect purge flow.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie

No longer an intermittent problem. Getting much worse and constant.

Tried another scanner today that collected way more data.

It is showing the Accelerator Pedal Position sensor is dropping voltage as the gas pedal is being pushed. So instead of a smooth graph as the pedal is pushed the graph has intermittent and numerous drops to zero. The TPS does not have these drops and produces a smooth graph.

I know where the accelerator sensor is located (under the battery), but how does it come off and where can you buy one? No auto parts stores seem to have it.

Has anyone changed this before?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AppleCountyHemi
No longer an intermittent problem. Getting much worse and constant.

Tried another scanner today that collected way more data.

It is showing the Accelerator Pedal Position sensor is dropping voltage as the gas pedal is being pushed. So instead of a smooth graph as the pedal is pushed the graph has intermittent and numerous drops to zero. The TPS does not have these drops and produces a smooth graph.

I know where the accelerator sensor is located (under the battery), but how does it come off and where can you buy one? No auto parts stores seem to have it.

Has anyone changed this before?

Thanks
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. This is the information from Service Manual for the removal of the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS). You may have to contact the parts dept of a local dealer for parts. Hopefully this helps.

REMOVAL

The APPS is serviced (replaced) as one assembly including the sensor, plastic housing and cable. The APPS assembly is located under the vehicle battery tray (APPS LOCATION). Access to APPS is gained from over top of left / front tire.
  1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Disconnect APPS cable at accelerator pedal. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Removal / Installation.
  3. Remove wheel house liner at left / front wheel. Refer to Body.
  4. Gain access to APPS electrical connector by opening swing-down door (APPS REMOVE / INSTALL). Disconnect electrical connector.
  5. Remove 3 mounting bolts (APPS REMOVE / INSTALL).
  6. Remove APPS assembly from battery tray.
  7. If cable is to be separated at APPS, unsnap cable clip from ball socket (APPS CABLE). Release cable from plastic housing by pressing on small cable release tab (APPS REMOVE / INSTALL).

Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie

Regina,

Thanks for the service manual info, but I already have that information. Do you have the part number I would need?

I called my local Dodge dealer's parts department and they could not find the APPS in their system. They tried to tell me it was part of the accelerator pedal and was located inside the truck. Mine is located under the battery under the hood. They told me to remove my part get the part number and call them back.

I did not have time to do that today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittant running issues