3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 stalling when hitting bumps in the road

Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 PM
eds9c1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 stalling when hitting bumps in the road

Hello, Long time browser and i do not get on here much but i am hoping you guys can help me out.
My truck started stalling when i went over a set of rough railroad tracks while towing my dump trailer.
It has gotten worse to the point where it would not start again unless i disconnected the battery.
My son in law ran a scan for me and the codes came up as crank position sensor, cam position sensor, and throttle body bad.

I replace all three and thought i was good to go....i drove the truck 20 miles before hitting another pot hole and it died again.....pulled over, shut it down, put it in park...started right up smooth as could be and drove off...came to a light...when it turned green...gave it some gas and it shut down again throwing a check engine light. Everytime it has stalled a red lighning bolt would illuminate on the lower right dash board. Sometimes it would not flash and instead a check engine light would come on. it also goes into limp mode when the engine light comes on...completely dies when the lightning bolt comes on.
I was right near an auto zone so i pulled in and got 6 codes...here they are.

P1684
P0653
Po335...this code was thrown 2 times
P061C
P2127

Please let me know if you can help me out here..... i have seen this problem come up before on the forums over the years but it is very confusing on how to fix it.

Once again...i have a brand new factory Dodge parts throttle body. crank Pos sensor, and Cam Pos sensor installed.

the battery has been disconnected many times over the last week while work was being done to the truck.

eds9c1@comcast.net

Thanks,

Ed

Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a connection problem.

Take a look under your engine bay fuse panel. See if there's corrosion on the terminals. That is the first place I would look.

Verrify your ground cables on your battery and your positive cable to your starter/alternator are solid and free from corrosion as well.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:51 AM
eds9c1
Angry

Thanks man.....going to a dealer this morning to purchase a new fuse block, ecm, and pedal position sensor since those are the codes that were thrown. i will install the fuse block first and if that is the problem i will return the other two items...... what a friggin nightmare.....and i use my truck everyday for my bussines. This has been going on for several weeks now and getting worse.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 PM
eds9c1
Default Not the problem.....

Well...new fuse block is in and it kept doing the same thing....so i installed a new ECM...... now it wont start at all and the snap on engine analysis reader is stating that while cranking over there is no rpm signal from the crank sensor or the cam sensor....both of which are new mopar parts i put in last week.

So, new crank and cam sensor....new throttle body...new fuse block...new ecm..... and my truck will not start at all now.

I have an aftermarket stereo, viper alarm, and trailer brake controller installed. One thing i noticed is that my brake controller is lit up now and stays on even after i shut the doors and set the alarm. it never goes out....this was not happening before. I just went out to check if it was still on 30 minutes after we wrapped it up for the night and it is still on..... it never lit up unless the trailer was plugged into it.

I am at my wits end with this...i need this truck to run for my business and i am almost 2 weeks out without it.....

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas.....please???

Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM
eds9c1
Unhappy Pulling my hair out......

I am sending the computer back and hopefully it was a bad one they sent me. they say that the comps are rebuilt(?), flashed for vin and vehicle updates by the manufacturer, and vehicle tested...but i dont see how that is possible as they would have to have hundreds of cars instock to "Vehicle" check all of the units they sell...... i think they may believe that the average consumer is stupid. LOL!!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:43 PM
abarmby
Champion

Unfortunately this is an all to often occurrence at dealerships.
Throw parts at a problem until they get lucky on your dime.
Unfortunately for you, you've pretty much done that yourself.
If the trucks that important to you and your business, go to a "trusted" mechanic and fault find that sucker!
I know it's not the answer you're looking for and I'm sorry if I sound blunt. But that's the best I'd suggest to you right now to get back on the road FAST, as the fault could literally be anything and you've suggested too many variables - brake controller installation etc - and needs professional diagnostics and experience to rectify.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 07-26-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:19 AM
eds9c1

My daughters boyfriend is an "A" mechanic..... he has been bringing his snapon scanner / comp gear home with him and coming over to diagnose. So in essence, we have been doing for free what the stealership would charge $100.00 an hour for while selling me parts at list price. All of my parts have been factory mopar coming from my buddies hot rod shop at wholesale......so i have saved a substantial amount there as well. if the replacement computer does not fix the problem, the truck is going to my buddies shop and will get done up right.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by eds9c1
My daughters boyfriend is an "A" mechanic..... he has been bringing his snapon scanner / comp gear home with him and coming over to diagnose. So in essence, we have been doing for free what the stealership would charge $100.00 an hour for while selling me parts at list price. All of my parts have been factory mopar coming from my buddies hot rod shop at wholesale......so i have saved a substantial amount there as well. if the replacement computer does not fix the problem, the truck is going to my buddies shop and will get done up right.
Ah..... You didn't go into depth about the background of the people who were working on this for you.
I thought you were chuking parts at it to solve your issues.
Sounds like you have this in hand.
Post up what you find.
Sounds like it could be your aftermarket stuff to be honest.
Good luck.
Al.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:58 PM
eds9c1

Soooooo....they sent me another computer but the truck still just turns over and will not start. The only difference between the 2 comps they sent me is that the first one had a delay before the engine cranked over...the 2nd one has no delay. Snapon scanner is saying that the crank and cam sensor are not getting any signal....and there is no rpm showing up on the scanner when the engine is turning over. I installed a new crank and cam sensor last week.....mopar parts. The only sensor i did not replace that was throwing a code as well in the beginning is the pedal position sensor. I guess it is off to my buddies shop tomorrow to track down this gremlin. I really cant complain to much as i bought this truck with 30,000 miles on it and have not had any major trouble at all with it.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 PM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ignition switch inside the steering column.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 stalling when hitting bumps in the road