3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible help/fix for hemi tick...Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 AM
mpk1980
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible help/fix for hemi tick...Seafoam

I have a 05 quad cab hemi....had the tick....and kinda annoyed me. So one day i bought seafoam OIL TREATMENT (the stuff you can leave in your crank case) and long behold....within minutes of putting the stuff in....the tick quieted and pretty much went away....didnt really hear anything for a long time.....just changed my oil today....and within a minute of start up....the tick slowly came back. Now....ive searched around on other forums and seen other people have the same success with the Seafoam Oil Treatment with the hemi tick for my year and others.....so im thinking that this could possibly be a headache solver for alot of people that dont necessarily wants their truck sounding like a beat down P.O.S....especially when my truck only has 38k miles on it.

If anyone else has had success, please post....hopes this help some people

Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there like a video somewhere of this hemi tick? the new hemi ram I just bought definately has some kind of tick. Im ****tin my pants thinkin its a rod bearing or something going bad. best case scenario its a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold... or maybe a leak at the y pipe. So, if I could see a video of the confirmed hemi tick, and thats the same way my truck ticks... i guess i'll be slightly relieved. I bought the exnended warranty so if its something like a rod bearing, its all suppose to get fixed with me just paying a 100$ deductable. itd be nice if they just put in a brand new 5.7.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

It appears that the famous tick is caused by valve guides with excessive clearance.
Mine has it, always has. Someone here did a valve job some time ago now, and eliminated the tick

Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 PM
cbauer15
Rookie

Originally Posted by wink2873
is there like a video somewhere of this hemi tick? the new hemi ram I just bought definately has some kind of tick. Im ****tin my pants thinkin its a rod bearing or something going bad. best case scenario its a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold... or maybe a leak at the y pipe. So, if I could see a video of the confirmed hemi tick, and thats the same way my truck ticks... i guess i'll be slightly relieved. I bought the exnended warranty so if its something like a rod bearing, its all suppose to get fixed with me just paying a 100$ deductable. itd be nice if they just put in a brand new 5.7.
The Hemi tick for me is after you turn on your engine and go crouch down next to the front tire you can hear the engine clicking with a little metal on metal noise.

My fix was getting an exhaust. If all you can hear is exhaust then u cant hear the tick!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cbauer15
The Hemi tick for me is after you turn on your engine and go crouch down next to the front tire you can hear the engine clicking with a little metal on metal noise.

My fix was getting an exhaust. If all you can hear is exhaust then u cant hear the tick!
mine seems to be quite louder than what you're hearing. Its very loud. You can hear it standing outside the truck 15 feet away.... I cant pinpoint where its comming from though... thats the part that pisses me off. but it does seem to be the same sound your talking about.. clicking.. metal on metal.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Ive also heard that using the 6.1 valves can relieve this.. is that true? if so, how hard is it to replace the valves on this thing?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:34 AM
ChurchOfMopar

Originally Posted by wink2873
mine seems to be quite louder than what you're hearing. Its very loud. You can hear it standing outside the truck 15 feet away.... I cant pinpoint where its comming from though... thats the part that pisses me off. but it does seem to be the same sound your talking about.. clicking.. metal on metal.
So far my 06 5.7 has led me to believe it's the mds lifters, my truck has tick threw acceleration and a sound of a playing card in spokes on coasting, but all sound stops when o/d is off or I'm in tow haul mode? (Also my bolt heads on manifold snapped so exhaust leak probably led to tick) No codes shown or logged.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:19 PM
SoBadass

Could also be the water pump. They tend to tick when they are on there way out.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 PM
DaveCinHutto
Amateur

I use 0w20 synthetic. there is a tick but it oh so much fainter in fact you must stop and really listen, the engine code for oil has not come back using the lighter oil. Two problems solved using the 0W20 vs the 5W20.

Quick Reply: Possible help/fix for hemi tick...Seafoam