3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi Po300 code

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 08:45 AM
mradford
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi Po300 code

Hello everyone,

I have a 05 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi, it has intermittent cranking issues. Around 50% of the time you have to push the gas in to get it to crank. Originally, it gave the code po301 (but it was only coming up randomly and would turn off randomly), and we changed out the plugs, wires, and coil packs and no fix. The truck continued to have the cranking issues, where we had to push the gas to get it to crank, and now the code Po300 has came up and has been on consistently for the past couple of days. The truck runs well and does not have any skipping or anything, so we are not sure of what the next best step would be. I appreciate your input!

Thank you!

Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Define what you mean cranking is ??

Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 AM
mradford

The truck actually turning over and cranking up and running. When you turn the switch over it will try to crank, but I have to push the gas to get it to completely crank and start running about 50% of the time.

Thanks,
Meagan

Old 11-04-2019, 11:49 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok. Cranking is usually referred to when the starter is working and the engine is turning over (rotating if you will) in an attempt to start. Too many people use the terms cranking and turning over in the wrong context which completely changes the context of the situation.
Anyways..it sounds like your starter is working fine and cranking the engine thereby turning it over in an attempt to start. however the engine wont start unless you put the accelerator to the floor.
This usually indicates a flooded engine wherby the engine has too much liquid gas.
Your code indicates misfire. When is the last time it had a tuneup with spark plugs changed?

Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM
mradford

The plugs, wires and coil packs were all changed about 2 months ago when the problem first started, we thought it would fix the problem initially but it never did. Because originally it had the code p0301, so we thought it was related to the 1st cylinder. The truck has 101k miles on it, just don't want to sink a ton of money into it chasing a problem that cannot be pinpointed. Multiple suggestions have been made about what it could be including throttle position sensor, crank camshaft position sensor, fuel injector problems, fuel pump problems, and so forth.

I don't know if this is related or not, but as I stated above is that the cranking and turning over problem only occurs about half the time. But, I noticed that when I fill up on gas it will crank without any difficultly and there is no need to push the gas pedal.

Thanks!
Meagan

Old 11-04-2019, 05:03 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mradford
The plugs, wires and coil packs were all changed about 2 months ago when the problem first started, we thought it would fix the problem initially but it never did. Because originally it had the code p0301, so we thought it was related to the 1st cylinder. The truck has 101k miles on it, just don't want to sink a ton of money into it chasing a problem that cannot be pinpointed. Multiple suggestions have been made about what it could be including throttle position sensor, crank camshaft position sensor, fuel injector problems, fuel pump problems, and so forth.

I don't know if this is related or not, but as I stated above is that the cranking and turning over problem only occurs about half the time. But, I noticed that when I fill up on gas it will crank without any difficultly and there is no need to push the gas pedal.

Thanks!
Meagan

So, are you saying that the act of putting fuel in the truck removes the issue? Or are you saying that you don't have a problem when the tank is pretty much full? If its the first situation, when its giving you a problem starting, take the gas cap off and see if it'll start w/o pushing the accelerator.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:21 PM
mradford

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
So, are you saying that the act of putting fuel in the truck removes the issue? Or are you saying that you don't have a problem when the tank is pretty much full? If its the first situation, when its giving you a problem starting, take the gas cap off and see if it'll start w/o pushing the accelerator.
What does it indicate if the truck will crank and start with the gas cap off?

Old 11-05-2019, 04:59 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mradford
What does it indicate if the truck will crank and start with the gas cap off?
Does that alleviate the problem, or not?

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi Po300 code