3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Radio Interference Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 AM
RamRod37
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow HID Radio Interference Fix

Through Testing Iv Found A Fix to That PITA Radio Interference with HID's on You will need two Items one you may have Around Your House Already from A usb cable from A device Such as Camera cable its the Magnet Around Cable from one end Now Mine Was Clip on Style But Your Cable May Not Have A Clip On So You Would Have to buy on The Are Called
SNAP-ON FERRITE CORE EMI RFI NOISE FILTER SUPPRESION CHOKE 1/4" and can be found on ebay take one of these two if you choose me I snapped One on Radio Antenna Cable Just Behind radio And If You want Put The Other One Antenna cable At antenna end This Alone Stopped Half My Interference And The Other Item You Will Need Is 2 12v Inline Noise Filters Also Found On Ebay This Will Tie In With your radio's power wires My 2005 Radio wires Are colored as Follows

Radio 12v gray/red + radio harness
Radio Ground black and black/lt. green - radio harness
Radio Ignition pink/yellow + radio harness

Now Your first Noise Filters will be going between the Radio 12v gray/red +

You will Cut these wires
Now depending on the brand used Inline Filter wire Colors May Vary from My Diagram this was colors mine used ok here we go
The gray/red wire's coming into radio will connect to blue wire(battery) on filter and the gray/red wires to radio will connect to Red(device) Wire On Filter the black wire can either go to Chassis ground or black wire in radio Harness do not cut the black wire just splicing filter ground to The Black Ground wire Same With Second Filter both filter grounds can be tied together to same Radio Harness wire

Filter Two
Cut the Pink/Yellow wire now tie the Blue From filter to pink/Yellow wire coming to Radio And Then The Red Filter Wire To pink/Yellow wire going radio Once Ground From This Filter Has Been Connected Your Done This
Process Eliminated All EMI/RFI Interference With My Radio Stations Hope This Solves Yours But Different Ballast Manufactures May Vary

NOTE: The wiring Colors Given Was For example only If any other year than a 2005 these are correct for this year but Im not sure how many year Models these wire colors Cover

Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like buying a quality ballasts from some other than "Made in China" is a lot less work

Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM
RamRod37
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Sounds like buying a quality ballasts from some other than "Made in China" is a lot less work
Maybe But For Those That have the problem its cheaper than buying all new ballast Thank You Very much

Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

True. But you could just as simply wrap copper foil around your ballast. Some of your older head high end head units used to have copper chassis designed to prevent EMI/EFI

Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 PM
RamRod37
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
True. But you could just as simply wrap copper foil around your ballast. Some of your older head high end head units used to have copper chassis designed to prevent EMI/EFI
Tried everything else under the sun people posted that helped nothing else worked foil, keeping ballast from contacting metal, grounding directly to battery,etc nothing else worked but this did

Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Same principle of why CAT5/CAT6 cables have each pair twisted different amounts per inch and why quality cables use internal shielding. The concept is to block or prevent the interference given off by other equipment. You solved your issue not by stopping the EFI/EMI from leaving the equipment but rather by stopping other equipment from absorbing it. However, your initial problem is still present. Core magnets come with a lot of audio/video systems these days and primarily because each thing can cause issues with something else. Glad you got yours resolved but look into resolute cause, not the effect.

Personally, I don't listen to the radio. Too much digital music for that

Thanks for posting it though. I'm sure it will help someone out.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in 100% agreement with Weedahoe here... quality ballasts will do a better job and are a better solution... You're also leaving the core issue in place and allowing for it to possible interfere with another component that you might not want it to interfere with.

I'm glad the solution works for you, but I'm definitely all about using quality equipment to avoid having to take corrective measures using additional equipment that is not specifically designed for this particular application.

Let us know how it works long-term though, if you have any issues elsewhere or anything...

Copper Foil definitely works on cheaper ballasts, I've had customers come in to me in the past and ask me for a cheap fix, and that's usually the cheap fix they get.

Quick Reply: HID Radio Interference Fix