3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U-joint noise and vibration? How many are there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U-joint noise and vibration? How many are there?

i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 4.7 with only 61,000 miles.For the last month or so I have been getting a chirp/spinning sound when I push on the gas but as soon as I let off it goes away,and now im getting a vibration only when I accelerate but as soon as I let off the gas that goes away to.I can feel the vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel and it even shakes the change in my cup holder.I was told these two problems may be the same thing which is a bad u-joint - i checked the 2 in the back that are on the drive shaft and they are fine but the dodge dealer said I should have 6 total but i only see 3 (2 on rear drive shaft and 1 on front shaft) i watched you tube videos and some rams have them at the front tires but i dont see that on my ram,I have big rubber boots in that area which I think are called cv joint or something.any one know what the 05 4.7 ram has? its 4x4. Could this be a wheel bearing or hub assembly? i get no noise at all unless im pressing the gas pedal then it makes a spinning chirping noise.THANKS!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3. Sounds like one or more are bad. They can make noise and not be loose. They are non greaseable, so they could be dry. I would replace both rears first.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

We took the rear shaft off and moved them around and they were fine. Did not check the front one with it off. The noise comes from the front

Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

Are all 3 u joints the same size so i can just go buy 3 u-joints and put them in?

Old 07-28-2014, 05:16 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

Replacing all 3 u-joints as we speak

Old 07-30-2014, 03:55 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

The u-joints were the problem, feels like a whole new truck!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:09 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

add some quality grease in those ujoints, I prefer marine grease

Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

glad you got it fixed, very satisfying to solve your own problems.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 PM
thealt
Default Additional Comments to help others

I too had this issue on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 2wd. I fixed this with a u joint, but wanted to add some comments on my experience on this thread in case others needed to search and find a possible solution.

At approximately 85k miles I got new tires and started noticing more vibration when accellerating or ... when the vehicle is under load in drive specifically. If I let off the gas and coasted, it was pretty smooth
Also over the next few 1000 miles I noticed switching from Park to Reverse or Neutral to Drive there was a loud clunk and you could feel a jolt as the gears were changed.
The vibration was more in the seat vs the steering and also got worse. Felt a bit like driving on some mudding tires.
Firestone said I needed new motor mounts
How I diagnosed this.
Popped the hood. Had the wife change gears from P to R, and Into Drive. while I watched the engine. Little movement and certainly no rocking and a rolling.
Rev-ed the engine by pumping the gas repeatedly while in Park. Same, no unexpected or out of the normal movement.
Killed the motor,
Took a look at the Left, Right, and Transmission mounts. and they all looked in tact.
Looked over the harmonic balancer, but since the engine was smooth I didn't suspect it was anything Engine related.
Crawled under and looked at the u-joint front and back. Tried lifting, twisting and torquing the rear U-joint where it goes into the trans-axle, by grasping the trans-axle mounting plate and moving the driveshaft up, down and all around. No movement.
The front was a different story, The u-joint was completely shot. It had a 1/4" of play where is should not have ANY slop.
25bucks for a new front U-joint and borrowing a loaner tool from the local Auto store and it's smooth as glass again.
Other things I've seen posted were regarding misfires etc, but in this case the engine is smooth, only Torque load when driving or shifting gears and thus changing torque load were symptoms.

Alt

Quick Reply: U-joint noise and vibration? How many are there?