3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 dodge 1500 condenser fan issues

Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Marchesani82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dodge 1500 condenser fan issues

Hows it going guys first post on the forum just signed up looking for some tips. My AC condenser fan isn't working. I replaced the relay and fuse. I know the fan works because i ran power directly to it from my battery and it worked. At this point the only thing i can thing of is PCM circuit. But other then that im not sure. Any info would be great. Thanks

Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

I would send weedohoe a pm. He knows a lot about this.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 PM
gerry92
Professional

It could be refrigerant slugging. There's a good thread here on common A/C problem and repair: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...solutions.html

Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Marchesani82

The air works great while driving because of the air being forced over the condensor just not while idel or at slow speeds because of the condenser fan

Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 AM
abarmby
Champion

Condenser dan is a "brushed" DC motor and as such, the brushes wear out over time.
This causes several issues.
1) intermittent on/off.
Tap the fan motor with the butt end of a large screwdriver several times hard whilst in the on position.
If the fan re starts, it's the brushes.

2) When the brushes are nearly worn out, fan performance is very poor and there's not much torque behind it, to pull sufficient air through the AC condenser radiator.

You can change out the fan motor without discharging the AC. There's posts on here explaining with pics, how to do this.
Al.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Buggsy
Professional

Start at the relay. Use a volt meter to see if you have proper voltage on the supply side. If you do, turn the AC on (probably have to have the truck running) to see if you have voltage on the switching side. Alternatively, if you don't have a multi-meter, you can just jump the relay with a heavy piece of wire and see if the fans come on.

If all that is good, then you know the issue is in the wiring after the fuse box. If you have issues here, you'll have to go deeper. I don't think the PCM controls the fan, I think it is triggered from the claimant control panel. I don't know that for a fact, but from other cars/trucks I've owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 dodge 1500 condenser fan issues