3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 RWD Steering Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:59 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenEH
So I have received the truck back from the shop and all is well! Turns out the POS shop that did the steering rack replacement fudged the alignment up HARD. So bad in fact the technician this time around couldn't even get a baseline reading with the alignment machine. He had to mess around with it just to get a starting point lol. A combination of severe toe out and camber out on one wheel caused the truck to pull to the right and veer unpredictably on bumps. Oddly enough I could not tell with my eyes that the alignment was that bad.

Oh the first problem where I get high frequency shudders in the steering wheel on left turns at parking lot speeds still persists. Anyone know what that could be from? Would irregular wear on the right (outside steering tire in this case) from the poor camber setting over 10000 km cause this?
GreenEH,

I'm pleased to hear the proper wheel alignment has improved the ride!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:32 AM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, turns out I had spoken too soon. The truck still steers like a POS; although the steering alignment had helped to reduce the steering jutter/jerk on bumps, I think I still have underlying problems with that reman rack and pinion... See the truck use to pull steadily to the right (before the alignment of course) and it would take a steady hand pulling down on the left side of the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line; with this steady pressure when hitting bumps and the front end getting light, you couldn't help but pull the left side of the steering wheel down too much for a quick moment and this is what was causing the truck to jut and veer uncontrollably (I think). Now however, the truck doesn't pull to the right but the steering feels loose and the truck is constantly wandering while trying to maintain straight course. You have that feeling in your seat of driving on black ice (for all you with cold climates at home that can relate) but on dry pavement! I can turn the steering wheel 5 - 10 degrees left and right while driving in a straight line and the truck doesn't react at all!! I didn't notice this before since i had always had steady pressure on the left of the wheel to compensate for the pull; I think now I can truly feel that there is some excessive slop in this reman rack and pinion! I am able to get a mopar rack from a buddy that works at a dealer for a somewhat decent price; I am praying that this will be the true remedy.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenEH
Well, turns out I had spoken too soon. The truck still steers like a POS; although the steering alignment had helped to reduce the steering jutter/jerk on bumps, I think I still have underlying problems with that reman rack and pinion... See the truck use to pull steadily to the right (before the alignment of course) and it would take a steady hand pulling down on the left side of the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line; with this steady pressure when hitting bumps and the front end getting light, you couldn't help but pull the left side of the steering wheel down too much for a quick moment and this is what was causing the truck to jut and veer uncontrollably (I think). Now however, the truck doesn't pull to the right but the steering feels loose and the truck is constantly wandering while trying to maintain straight course. You have that feeling in your seat of driving on black ice (for all you with cold climates at home that can relate) but on dry pavement! I can turn the steering wheel 5 - 10 degrees left and right while driving in a straight line and the truck doesn't react at all!! I didn't notice this before since i had always had steady pressure on the left of the wheel to compensate for the pull; I think now I can truly feel that there is some excessive slop in this reman rack and pinion! I am able to get a mopar rack from a buddy that works at a dealer for a somewhat decent price; I am praying that this will be the true remedy.
GreenEH,

I'm pleased to hear you were able to work out a discount. Keep us posted on the results if you can.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mopar rack is definitely the way to go.... the Reman units are notorious for not working right.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 AM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to give anyone interested an update. A trw steering rack that I stumbled across on a truck at the local junkyard totally resolved my trucks steering problems. For 30 bucks, I just had to give it a chance and from my understanding trw makes parts for dodges? It had no slop and that's all I care about

Quick Reply: 1500 RWD Steering Woes