3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 20" 5 spokes.... Platsic or real? Answer inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:40 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 06 20" 5 spokes.... Platsic or real? Answer inside

Stoped at the dearler on the way home to find out. Walked up to a new 1500 with the 20s, they do look nice. I tap on them, just like the old design, CRAP PLASTIC!

Old 10-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Stillborn
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 06 20" 5 spokes.... Platsic or real? Answer inside

This is sort of a stupid question..but how can you tell if they are real chrome, or plastic coated chrome? I have an 03 Ram, and from the looks of things..it looks like chrome plated metal.. but is there any definete way to check [without taking the wheel off?]

Old 10-22-2005, 03:23 AM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tap it with a key. You'll know the difference, if it's like everyone I've ever seen.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:28 AM
CarGuyOhio

ORIGINAL: Stillborn

This is sort of a stupid question..but how can you tell if they are real chrome, or plastic coated chrome? I have an 03 Ram, and from the looks of things..it looks like chrome plated metal.. but is there any definete way to check [without taking the wheel off?]
Plastic covers over the wheels are obvious, very distinct noise when tapping them or washing them. Nothing like the sound of cheap plastic, thanks DC.

Another way to tell is to look at the lip of the wheel. The lip will be metal, if you look closely you can see where the plastic cover buts against the lip.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:22 PM
CarGuyOhio

ORIGINAL: Stillborn

It is hard to tell from your sig but it is also possible you have the polished wheels and not the chrome. The polished are all metal but do not reflect as well as chrome.

Quick Reply: 06 20" 5 spokes.... Platsic or real? Answer inside