3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help Troubleshooting Wheel Noise Issue?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 AM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need Help Troubleshooting Wheel Noise Issue?

Hey guys,

Alright so my title says what I need help with.

The noise does sound like it is coming from a wheel, still don't even have it narrowed down to front or rear. Sounds like rear, but the noise occurs only when turning. I dont hear the noise at speeds over 20+ but this could be because of my aggressive tires. Checked for bad wheel bearings all around. They are fine.

The noise sounds to be a clicking of some sort. Occurs when moving and can be heard easier while turning. I hear the noise most often while driving offroad, but does still occur on pavement. I am thinking maybe u-joints but not comepletely sure. Also, maybe suspension. Just lost as to where to start because haven't narrowed it down too much.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.
Here's my truck specs if itll help out at all

2002 1500 QC 5.9L 4WD

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:13 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran

check the front axle u-joints or CV joints.... the clicking sound while turning is a good clue for this.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:23 AM
RamRod37
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck_hammer
check the front axle u-joints or CV joints.... the clicking sound while turning is a good clue for this.
Yep Sounds like CV Axles

Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

Okay guys thanks. The noise increases in speed along with the truck so that would make sense. For some reason today I thought it may be the drive shaft but thats another level. It isn't a major clicking but noticable and accelerates in speed when the truck does. As I said with the higher speeds the clicking becomes unoticable.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:11 AM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

Changed my CV axle today, which was ready since it was leaking grease. But the noise does still occur. Would a wheel bearing have a similar sound. On my Accord the wheel bearing sounded different than the sound I am hearing now, but maybe that could be?

Also, have a squeak noise coming from the driver rear wheel. Similar to when a school bus stops...lol. But the noise is NOT from braking. Any suggestions there?

Thanks for the input fellas.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran

did you replace 1 or both front axles? !.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

Originally Posted by chuck_hammer
did you replace 1 or both front axles? !.
One. The passenger side is fine.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jmark22
Okay guys thanks. The noise increases in speed along with the truck so that would make sense. For some reason today I thought it may be the drive shaft but thats another level. It isn't a major clicking but noticable and accelerates in speed when the truck does. As I said with the higher speeds the clicking becomes unoticable.

Sorry that you are experiencing the clicking noise. Have you checked if noise is suspension related like the struts, springs, bushings or shocks?

Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Sorry that you are experiencing the clicking noise. Have you checked if noise is suspension related like the struts, springs, bushings or shocks?
Haven't extremely looked over the suspension, but it has been pretty much eliminated due to the fact that with quick acceleration the noise increases in speed (wheel turn) I don't really think it is suspension but I will double check.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help Troubleshooting Wheel Noise Issue?