3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle body headaches

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Nitro77015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body headaches

Throttle body headaches
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega cab Hemi. Last week I was driving & my truck starting acting up like when the throttle body is acting up. The little lighting bolt on the dash came on. After a minutes I finally got it started. Drove it to my local garage. They did a scan on the check engine light. It said it was a bad cam position sensor. So I replaced it. After that it was still doing the same thing. So I went & bought a used throttle body & replaced it on Saturday. My truck is still having the same problem. Does anyone know what the problem may be.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you reset the code or reset the PCM, drive it, wait for the light to come back on and check the code number again to see if it changed?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Nitro77015

Yes I reset the PCM. It ran good for a little while. Then yesterday it started acting up again. So I went to O-riley's & had them pull the codes again. And it was saying bad cam position sensor. So I replaced it again & its still doing the same thing like the throttle body is bad.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:06 AM
mellinco
Default ETC AKA electronic throttle controle

The etc is connected to throttle body. A cable runs from accelerater peddle to a computer and computer sends signal to etc via wires. Thus communicating proper throttle positioning. Easy fix is remove throttle body clean with Carb cleaner and non abrasive scrubber ex soft brissle tooth brush. If that don't fix time for new throttle body. I have found em ranging from 200 to 300 dollars new and 100 to 150 used. But my opinion I would spare head ache and buy new.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:15 AM
mellinco
Default ETC AKA electronic throttle controle

I am currently experiencing same problem but its spuratic and I have yet to find a pattern. But I have noticed driving long distance with cruise control on, but on the same hand it isn't the only trigger.

Last edited by mellinco; 10-04-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 AM
mellinco
Default ETC AKA electronic throttle control

I myself am going to try cleaning it. There is also a video on YouTube with step by step instructions on removal and reinstalling. Will add link in a bit. Good luck

Old 10-04-2014, 09:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Crankshaft sensor is directly related to the camshaft sensor as well as transmission shifting patterns.
You can have the dealer run a scan on the crank sensor with diagnostic tool for variances. Either the camshaft sensor you installed is out of spec(aftermarket crap) or it's not aligning with the crankshaft sensor nut the 2 work hand-in hand.
Are you getting a code for low voltage or anything on the cam sensor?

Quick Reply: Throttle body headaches