3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

do i need to get a new plenum gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 PM
drave199
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need to get a new plenum gasket? **UPDATE**

I have an 02 ram 1500 with the 5.9L gas 360 engine. iwas looking into the superchips or the tuner from hemifever and was told if i have plenum issues then i shouldnt get anything unless i get that fixed. Now im not really sure if i even have issues or not. i dont have any visible leaks (i never find anything on the ground since the 3 years ive had it.) I do use about a half a quart of oil to MAYBE a full quart per 3-5k miles. Gas mileage is bad but not really bad. (about 10-12 mpg-i do have oversized tires) i have yet to look down my throttle body to see any visible oil but ive heard that it is normal to have some oil down there anyway?? No engine ticking at acceleration. (i do have a slight knock every once in a while JUST when idling but not so worried about that.

any thoughts guys? i really want a tuner!

**So to update on this. I pulled the air intake, looked down my throttle body. Did see some oil residue and a bit of somewhat burnt oil on the bottom. Didn't see any pooling, although it is tough to see. Did the paper trick ver the oil fill, VERY SLIGHT suction. Not enough to stay on for more than a second, especially cause the engine fan. I also Checked my oil. only about 1200 miles since i changed it and i needed to put almost a full quart in it. So i guess i am slightly off from what i said before OR its getting worse, idk.

You think i just need to suck it up and get it done? I will probably just have the dealer do as i really dont have much time and enough patience (or knowledge) to do it. What exactly should i have them replace beside plenum gasket. plate as well? excuse my lack of knowledge. What is the risk of not doing anything? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by drave199; 09-23-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Snowfan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an SCT tuner and fix the plenum when it needs fixed. Might last forever.

Quick Reply: do i need to get a new plenum gasket?