3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 dodge ram 2500 diesel 5.9l wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 02:25 PM
wouday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dodge ram 2500 diesel 5.9l wont start

Guys,

I have a pretty ennoying issue with my 2003 dodge ram 2500 5.9l cummins diesel. At first, it wouldn't start in the morning and I used to start it up using starting fluid. it took me two weeks to realize that my batteries were dead. I changed them and truck started working fine for about a week and a half and I have the same problem. I had it scan at the dealer and all I got as alarms were low voltage at intake relay #1 and #2. I replaced the relay and checked the wiring and alarms were cleared. Now I have no codes on the truck but it still doesn't want to start.
Last thing I recently checked is the control wiring on the relays and I found out that the wires were misplaced, the two grounds went to the ECM and those that were supposed to go to the ECM went to the ground post. I also found out that on these wires, when i turned the switch on, those that comes from the ECM gave me 3.6 or 3.7 DCV is that normal?
Something else I noticed is that when turning the switch on, the grid heater inside the intake manifold doesn't heat up at all. It's like there is no current going through the relay to heat it up when I turned the switch on.
The truck still doesn't want to start in the morning. after using the starting fluid, it ran smoothly, but if I shut it down for 4 hours and more I will have the same problem again, it won't start. I don't want to keep using the starting fluid, I am trying to find out what is wrong with the truck.

Can you guys please help me out?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:44 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Yes, starting fluid is not advised, if your grid heater does turn on it may ignite in the intake. Do you have any smoke? Might have more answers in the Diesel section or on another "cummins forum"

Weak batteries, injectors, or fuel issues are typically the root causes. Is there anyway for you to monitor Rail Pressure while cranking? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Can you verify that the fuel pump turns on?

Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 PM
wouday

The grid heater turned on when I put a direct current through it. But when I turned the key switch on, I have nothing on the grid heater. It's like the relays don't work. I have no smoke. Like I said, when I do start it over with starting fluid, ir runs smoothly. I have no way to monitor the rail pressure. It is something I intend to install once I get this truck started. The fuel filter was changed almost 5000 kms ago and I don't know how to verify if the fuel pump is turned on. Any hint?
I will try to post that same thread on a cummins forum.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:43 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Stop with the starter fluid. You can do serious damage. I would start with trouble shooting the heater grid issue.

Quick Reply: 2003 dodge ram 2500 diesel 5.9l wont start