3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sideview Mirror Defrost not Working.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 AM
tvacchino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sideview Mirror Defrost not Working.

So my driver sideview mirror defrost is no longer working it appears?
Funny how something you never had and thought you wouldn't need becomes "OMG How can I live without this" real quick!

Anyway. As the passenger side works fine. I am assuming that the actually mirror is at fault? But on occasion it will sometimes work which is making me think it may be a broken wire instead?

Not good with electrical so was wondering if there is a way to check if it is indeed the mirror, in which case I need to buy a whole new one)? Or if it is indeed a break somewhere in the wiring?

out,
t

Last edited by tvacchino; 09-29-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

You can check power to the mirror plug. Check fuse. I cannot remember if it's one fuse or two.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:52 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tvacchino
So my driver sideview mirror defrost is no longer working it appears?
Funny how something you never had and thought you wouldn't need becomes "OMG How can I live without this" real quick!

Anyway. As the passenger side works fine. I am assuming that the actually mirror is at fault? But on occasion it will sometimes work which is making me think it may be a broken wire instead?

Not good with electrical so was wondering if there is a way to check if it is indeed the mirror, in which case I need to buy a whole new one)? Or if it is indeed a break somewhere in the wiring?

out,
t
Per the Service Manual, when diagnosing a heated mirror concern, check the heated mirror circuit fuse located in the TIPM. The fuse must be tight in the receptacle and all electrical connections must be secure. It is located in cavity 8 and is fuse 10 AMP Red.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - ELECTRIC BACKLIGHT (EBL) AND HEATED MIRROR SYSTEM
NOTE:Illumination of the defogger switch indicator lamp does not necessarily mean that electrical current is reaching the rear window glass and/or the outside rear view mirror heating grids.
NOTE:See Wiring Information for circuit descriptions and diagrams of the rear window defogger (EBL) and heated mirror systems,Operation of the Electrical Back Light (EBL) and heated mirror systems can be confirmed by the following:

1. Use a scan tool and check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the A/C-heater control and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). If no DTCs are found, go to Step #2. If any DTCs are found, repair as required, then proceed to Step #2. 2.Turn the ignition switch to RUN. Set the rear window defogger switch to ON. Rear window defogger operation can be checked by feeling the rear window glass, or the heated outside rear view mirror glass. A distinct difference in temperature between the grid lines (1) and the adjacent clear glass (2) or the heated mirror glass should be detected within 3 to 4 minutes of operation. 3.If a rear window glass temperature difference is not detected, use a 12-volt DC voltmeter (4) and contact the rear glass heating grid power feed terminal A (3) with the positive lead, and the ground terminal B (5) with the negative lead. The voltmeter should read battery voltage. If the voltmeter does not read battery voltage, check the following:
  • Confirm the ignition switch is in RUN.
  • Confirm the rear window defogger switch is ON.
  • Confirm the EBL feed wire is connected to the heating grid positive terminal and that there is continuity between the TIPM and the heating grid.
  • Confirm the EBL ground wire is connected to the heating grid negative terminal and that there is continuity to ground.
  • When diagnosing a heated mirror concern, check the heated mirror circuit fuse located in the TIPM. The fuse must be tight in the receptacle and all electrical connections must be secure.
4.If broken defogger grid lines or bus bars are suspected, use a 12-volt DC voltmeter and contact the rear glass heating grid ground terminal B with the negative lead and each rear glass heating grid line at its mid-point with the positive lead. The voltmeter should read approximately 6 volts at each grid line mid-point. If the voltmeter does not read approximately 6 volts, repair the open grid line(s) or bus bar(s) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8G - Heated/Cooled Systems/Heated Glass/GRID, Defogger - Standard Procedure) . 5.If the operation of the EBL system and/or the heated mirror system has been verified but the defogger LED indicator does not illuminate, replace the A/C-heater control (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Controls/CONTROL, A/C and Heater - Removal) .

Old 10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not even snow/icing yet..lol

Most guys have had to replace the lens with a new one. They run like $70.

Make sure you watch a tutorial or see how to remove and replace, that or have the dealer install because if they break it, it's on them ;-)

Old 10-06-2014, 10:39 AM
tvacchino

Originally Posted by dirtydog
It's not even snow/icing yet..lol

Most guys have had to replace the lens with a new one. They run like $70.

Make sure you watch a tutorial or see how to remove and replace, that or have the dealer install because if they break it, it's on them ;-)
I know right!
Ya this will fall on me as the Truck isn't under warranty any longer. Not that the dealers ever did a damn thing for me when it was. I gave up fighting with them to replace the Heater recirculation doors after many go around with two different dealers. But I digress

Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 AM
tvacchino

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Per the Service Manual, when diagnosing a heated mirror concern, check the heated mirror circuit fuse located in the TIPM. The fuse must be tight in the receptacle and all electrical connections must be secure. It is located in cavity 8 and is fuse 10 AMP Red.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - ELECTRIC BACKLIGHT (EBL) AND HEATED MIRROR SYSTEM
NOTE:Illumination of the defogger switch indicator lamp does not necessarily mean that electrical current is reaching the rear window glass and/or the outside rear view mirror heating grids.
NOTE:See Wiring Information for circuit descriptions and diagrams of the rear window defogger (EBL) and heated mirror systems,Operation of the Electrical Back Light (EBL) and heated mirror systems can be confirmed by the following:

1. Use a scan tool and check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the A/C-heater control and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). If no DTCs are found, go to Step #2. If any DTCs are found, repair as required, then proceed to Step #2. 2.Turn the ignition switch to RUN. Set the rear window defogger switch to ON. Rear window defogger operation can be checked by feeling the rear window glass, or the heated outside rear view mirror glass. A distinct difference in temperature between the grid lines (1) and the adjacent clear glass (2) or the heated mirror glass should be detected within 3 to 4 minutes of operation. 3.If a rear window glass temperature difference is not detected, use a 12-volt DC voltmeter (4) and contact the rear glass heating grid power feed terminal A (3) with the positive lead, and the ground terminal B (5) with the negative lead. The voltmeter should read battery voltage. If the voltmeter does not read battery voltage, check the following:
  • Confirm the ignition switch is in RUN.
  • Confirm the rear window defogger switch is ON.
  • Confirm the EBL feed wire is connected to the heating grid positive terminal and that there is continuity between the TIPM and the heating grid.
  • Confirm the EBL ground wire is connected to the heating grid negative terminal and that there is continuity to ground.
  • When diagnosing a heated mirror concern, check the heated mirror circuit fuse located in the TIPM. The fuse must be tight in the receptacle and all electrical connections must be secure.
4.If broken defogger grid lines or bus bars are suspected, use a 12-volt DC voltmeter and contact the rear glass heating grid ground terminal B with the negative lead and each rear glass heating grid line at its mid-point with the positive lead. The voltmeter should read approximately 6 volts at each grid line mid-point. If the voltmeter does not read approximately 6 volts, repair the open grid line(s) or bus bar(s) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8G - Heated/Cooled Systems/Heated Glass/GRID, Defogger - Standard Procedure) . 5.If the operation of the EBL system and/or the heated mirror system has been verified but the defogger LED indicator does not illuminate, replace the A/C-heater control (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Controls/CONTROL, A/C and Heater - Removal) .

Oh boy this looks like fun!

Thanx

out,
t

Attached Thumbnails Sideview Mirror Defrost not Working.-169314.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sideview Mirror Defrost not Working.