3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 1500 4.7L 4x4 Cranks But wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 PM
cryckman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 1500 4.7L 4x4 Cranks But wont start

I have a 2006 ram 1500 that cranks over very fast but will not start. I had this problem last week and the fuel pump was working but it would not start up. I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes and then it started like normal. Not today. It cranks over no problem but wont even attempt to fire up. I don't think I can here the fuel pump kicking on either. I thought my fuel pump was bad but I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it still wouldn't event attempt to start. The only trouble codes I get are one for an oil pressure sensor and one for a thermostat problem but they do not pop up every time and I have had the same codes in the past and never had problems starting. I'm thinking I might have more than one problem on my hands but really could use some help troubleshooting.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:30 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cryckman
I have a 2006 ram 1500 that cranks over very fast but will not start. I had this problem last week and the fuel pump was working but it would not start up. I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes and then it started like normal. Not today. It cranks over no problem but wont even attempt to fire up. I don't think I can here the fuel pump kicking on either. I thought my fuel pump was bad but I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it still wouldn't event attempt to start. The only trouble codes I get are one for an oil pressure sensor and one for a thermostat problem but they do not pop up every time and I have had the same codes in the past and never had problems starting. I'm thinking I might have more than one problem on my hands but really could use some help troubleshooting.
cryckman,

I'm sorry to learn of your no-start concern. You mentioned the vehicle did start after the battery was disconnected. Have you recently replaced the battery? Is the battery fully charged?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is some information from the Service Manual on a no start condition. Hopefully this helps.
1. Weak battery 1. Charge or replace as necessary.
2. Corroded or loose battery connections. 2. Clean and tighten battery connections. Apply a coat of light mineral grease to the terminals.
3. Faulty starter. 3. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8F - Engine Systems/Starting - Diagnosis and Testing) .
4. Faulty coil or control unit. 4.(Refer to 08 - Electrical/8I - Ignition Control/COIL, Ignition - Removal) .
5. Incorrect spark plug gap. 5. Correct as necessary.
6. Dirt or water in fuel system. 6. Clean system and replace fuel filter.
7. Faulty fuel pump, relay or wiring. 7. Repair or replace as necessary.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Crank it for 20 continuous seconds, DO NOT turn the key off, then check to see if it generates a crank sensor code.

If you have no fuel AND no fire, look to the ASD relay or fuse first.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 PM
cryckman

The battery is fine. I disconnected it for 2 minutes and reconnected it and it started just like normal last week. I then drove it normally for a week with absolutely no problems at all. Went up town for a fire meeting (I'm a volunteer firefighter) and when the meeting was over I tried starting and it would just crank over but would not even attempt to start.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Squints
Rookie

Your crank sensor will cause delayed starting. turn the key on/off 3 times and see if it displays a p0335 code. if that code pops up then you need to replace your sensor. I had this same problem after i installed my new engine.

here are the steps i took to fix it:

1. I cleaned both terminals and made sure they were attatched firmly
2. Replaced the cable that goes from the battery to the starter. (the truck started after i replaced the cable but still took about 10 secs for it to start up)

3. Once truck started i let it run for a little bit and get to temp then turned it off and did the key trick to display trouble codes. p0335 popped up which is the crank sensor.

4. replaced sensor and truck now starts up in about 2-3 secs.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:22 PM
cryckman

I got it figured out guys. Ended up being the crank sensor and the fuel pump. Thanks for everyone's help

Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I got it figured out guys. Ended up being the crank sensor and the fuel pump. Thanks for everyone's help
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear issue is resolved.

Quick Reply: 2006 1500 4.7L 4x4 Cranks But wont start