3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Start Help.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Start Help.

My truck has a remote start and what not. The remote is viper 474 model.
Long story short, the ring on remote broke off, my fob has been misplaced/lost.

My question to you guys...
Will any other Viper remote work for my 2002 ram 1500, or do i need to replace it with an identical remote?

Also, if anyone here has experience in programming these things any insight would be very helpful. Truck came with it installed, and I will definitely want my remote start for this Midwestern winter. Thanks guys,

Jeremy.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Typically it's going to be an identical remote used

Old 10-17-2014, 08:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If they use the same frequency they should be able to be programmed; however, not all models of Viper or any other brand for that matter are the same.
You'll need to find the same remote that you broke and program it to your system for best results.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viper (owned by Directed Electronics) actually used to warranty their remotes for the lifetime of the unit, if you have your original receipt you should be able to contact them and obtain a replacement that will work for you.

Keep in mind that due to the age of that unit they might not make them anymore, so you might have to look online elsewhere for one, the other upside is that they can tell you which newer units might be a direct plug and play with the existing wiring of that unit, which would come with new remotes. so that is also an option as well.

Hope that helps.

[edit]

Here is a link to their website where the replacement remotes are:

http://www.viper.com/Car/Remotes/

match the model number with the number on the back of your remote or see which most closely resembles your remote and check if it is compatible with your system.

Last edited by Izero; 10-21-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by Izero
Viper (owned by Directed Electronics) actually used to warranty their remotes for the lifetime of the unit, if you have your original receipt you should be able to contact them and obtain a replacement that will work for you.

Keep in mind that due to the age of that unit they might not make them anymore, so you might have to look online elsewhere for one, the other upside is that they can tell you which newer units might be a direct plug and play with the existing wiring of that unit, which would come with new remotes. so that is also an option as well.

Hope that helps.

[edit]

Here is a link to their website where the replacement remotes are:

http://www.viper.com/Car/Remotes/

match the model number with the number on the back of your remote or see which most closely resembles your remote and check if it is compatible with your system.
Trust and believe me, they do not warranty their remotes. I have the Clifford 5901 I think it is and it had JUST came out when I had bought it from Circuit City. But a few months later CC went out of business and my remote had broke. I didnt have a good receipt because the damn receipt was on thermal paper they use and it had faded. I had to threaten DEI with posting my problems all over the net before someone sent me a replacement remote. It obviously hadnt been over a year because the damn system had JUST been released for sale a few months back.So....uh....yeah. They dont warranty them

Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

And then this **** here?

http://www.viper.com/car/remotes/pro...d-2-way-remote

Are you kidding me? I dont think I paid $300 for the entire system and they want $300 for a single 2 way remote?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol I assure you Viper warranties their remotes, I've just received confirmation on my Wife's Viper 5701 2-Way Remotes.

I've installed hundreds of these and the only time they won't warranty the remote is if the remote was submerged in water and suffered water damage as a result.

I've never had an issue with their customer service so far....

Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, got my problem solved today. Local shop sells viper systems and had the remote i needed. Cost me about $55 and they programmed it. Everything is back to normal.

Also, this new remote isn't identical to my old one just an FYI, but thanks for your guys help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start Help.