3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Uneven rear ride height after bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:01 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven rear ride height after bilsteins

Ordered 4 new bilsteins. Ride height adjustable 5100s front struts and 5100 rear shocks. Put the new rear shocks on tonight. After I finished, i realized the truck was sitting noticeably off level. The drivers side is sitting 2.25 inches taller then the passenger side. After reading a few threads I decided to fill my gas tank that was basically empty. It didn't change a thing. To make sure I wasn't measuring something incorrectly I measured it from a few different places (ground to fender, tire to fender, and top of leaf spring mount to body bumper). All three where off the same amount. Interesting enough, measured the new shocks. Appears from the top of the top bolt to the bottom of the bottom bolt measures 22.125 and 22.25. So the shocks are actually pretty dang close in length. What else could be causing my issues?

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the fuel tank is inside the frame rail, empty or full won't make a 2 1/4" change. Was it level when you started?

Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first thought is just wondering if you got the spring seated right on one of the front struts. I'm also with Mike wondering if it was out of level before you started

Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet you had uneven ride prior to the install and at this point after the install your looking directly at them and comparing the height. Very common. Especially since the shocks do not control the lift of your vehicle but rather the coils and/or leaf springs that do.

Take a look at your leafsprings to see if you notice any downwards bending. I would also measure the lift from the axle to the leaf perch on both sides. I'm thinking one of your leafsprings is cooked.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either one of the leaf springs is messed up or you might have gotten two different shocks for the rear (likely by mistake)... Check the boxes they came in and compare part numbers, I believe they make different shocks for different lift/level applications.

That MIGHT have something to do with it.... the next thing I'd say to check is if you followed the install instructions to the letter...? Double check your install after checking your leaf springs and part numbers for each of those shocks.

Quick Reply: Uneven rear ride height after bilsteins