3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Hemi Rwd Oil Pan Leak

Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 PM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Hemi Rwd Oil Pan Leak

Hi guys,

Had my engine rebuilt just over a year ago after it had dropped a valve. The engine is leaking engine oil which is dripping down near the trans bell housing and onto the removable crossmember. I believe the cause is the oil pan seal as the whole passenger side of it is wet from the timing cover case back. The shop that rebuilt the engine used silicone gasket maker on the oil pan... My worst fear is that it's the rear main seal leaking, it's still quite hard to pinpoint exactly where this leak is coming from but I "think" I have diagnosed it right.

If I were to go resealing the oil pan, is there a reusable gasket that they make for the hemi or is using gasket maker standard practice for this motor? Can the oil pan be removed without raising the motor given that I don't have a 4wd truck? How exactly is the oil pan removed at the back where it sinks into the tranny housing, it appears as if all bolts on the pan aren't accessible? Any tricks for ensuring a good seal at the timing cover to oil pan interface? (I had to reseal the timing cover at the oil pan twice on my 5.9 magnum motor, it was a pain to get right and took a combination of a reusable gasket and silicone at that interface)

Thanks guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Hemi Rwd Oil Pan Leak