3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sound Deadening

Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Jacob Boyd Bauer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Deadening

I will be attempting to create a very quiet ride in a quad cab soon. Anyone attempted a similar project?

Old 10-28-2014, 02:40 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a few threads here with audio builds with guys who covered everything.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hushmat is the generally accepted method. Although for a super quiet cab, strip out the cab completely and put a few coats of Plasti-Dip on the metal surfaces THEN cover in Hushmat before relaying your carpet.

Plasti-Dip is basically synthetic rubber and not only has great sound deadening properties but also is a great insulator, making it much easier to heat and cool the cab. Of course, everyone in the restoration industry knows the value of Hushmat...

Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Anything with the typical aluminum backing and goopy butyl rubber will merely dampen vibrations and not really cut down on cabin sound. If you are looking for a quieter ride, try Dynaliner made by Dynamat. I used 1/4" on my Buick doors and wow, what a difference. I wish I had done that to my Ram.

I bought a couple of trunk rolls online for $40 each or something like that. 2 was plenty for the doors.
11102 Dynamat DYNALINER is what I bought.

1/4" is pretty thick and you will have to do a bit of trimming. Use 1/8" in tight places.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Jacob Boyd Bauer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing alot of research, and I'm thinking about using the butyl backed stuff (which is a product called CLD: Constrained Layer Damping) in certain areas because it is a vibration stopper (like the transmission tunnel, around speaker locations in the doors...). Then I plan to use the foam stuff (like RAAMmat ensolite) in areas where high frequency sound gets in, as well as between panels that slap together (around the windshield, between dash panels...). I've used certain brand names here, but merely as an example, they are not necessarily the brand/product I will go with. Any have thoughts on this plan?

Last edited by Jacob Boyd Bauer; 10-29-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound Deadening