3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headers, y-pipe, cat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 PM
scabrales18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers, y-pipe, cat question

I will be getting pacesetter long tube headers for my 07 ram 1500 hemi 4x4. The headers come with a new offroad y-pipe. Should I get that deal or just get the headers themselves and get a branded y-pipe like magnaflow or flowmaster to go with those headers?. Also should I lose the stock cats when I get the new y-pipe or weld them on. I'm not to into the idea of getting hi flow cats as I'm told they aren't worth the $$ and others tell me the stock cats are actually less restricted and won't hurt to keep em on. Some say stick with stock cats some say lose em. I'm stuck please help!!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you use the offroad Y, you will not be able to retain the cats. On my '04, I did the exact same Pacesetters, sent them to a shop for a custom ceramic coat and re-did the entire exhaust. Long tubes to collectors, then the cats (the O2 sensor wires will need to be spliced/lengthened about 14") then straight to a Magnaflow stainless Y right before my SI/DO Cherry Bomb - then to a pair of tailpipe/tips at the rear bumper. I'm not in an inspection state but wanted to retain my cats. If you go the offroad pipe route, you can get rid of the CEL (check engine light) caused by ditching your cats by doing non-foulers - this is what I did on my cat-less 2nd Gen '98 Ram.

If you have the extra $ to spend, I'd recommend having a shop do the ceramic coat over factory - MUCH thicker coat will last the life of the truck. Many chrome shops do ceramic coating (ask a Harley guy, they all know where the chrome shops are).

Put mine on in '05 and when I sold the truck two months ago, the headers still looked like I had just put them on...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-31-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:33 AM
scabrales18

Ok thanks! So instead of getting that offroad ypipe I should get a magnaflow y pipe that will allow me to retain my cats?. I've just heard the 3rd gen cats are less restrictive and wouldn't be worth taking them off.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 AM
scabrales18

And also did you use the gaskets and bolts that come with it or use a different kind?

Last edited by scabrales18; 11-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I used the paper gasket that came with it and never had a problem but unless you are going to be **** about checking the bolts, I'd suggest the Mopar header gasket.

I WOULD NOT use locking header bolts. The threads are fairly soft and IMO if you use locking bolts the weak point will be the threads and could strip out. If the bolts can't loosen over time with vibration then the threads will strip. I'd rather check and re-tighten bolts at oil change time than have to heli coil a bolt in.

The included bolts are fine. The reason I got away with the cheap paper gasket so long is because I installed the headers the proper way and checked them at every oil change. I never needed to re-torque more than one or two bolts much more than a quarter turn.

The key is when you install the headers, torque bolts to spec then run the truck for about 20 mins, let them get as hot as they will ever get, then, being careful not to burn yourself, re-torque 'em. They'll stay good and tight...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-01-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:34 AM
scabrales18

awesome thanks

Quick Reply: headers, y-pipe, cat question