3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Instrument Panel gone crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:35 PM
srober76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel gone crazy

I took my truck to work last night. Only been driving it a couple of times a month now. Last few times my air bag light has been randomly going off and on. Last night in addition to the airbag light going off and on the instrument panel on the ceiling of my truck(compass, mpg, estimated miles left ect ect) is shutting off and on, plus a red light near the temp gauge is randomly turning on. According the the manual that red light indicates something about a security system

Any suggestions whats causing my instrument panel to act up, what should I check? Im not even sure if my airbag is faulty or part of my instrument panel problems.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4.7 4x4 SLT

Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by srober76
I took my truck to work last night. Only been driving it a couple of times a month now. Last few times my air bag light has been randomly going off and on. Last night in addition to the airbag light going off and on the instrument panel on the ceiling of my truck(compass, mpg, estimated miles left ect ect) is shutting off and on, plus a red light near the temp gauge is randomly turning on. According the the manual that red light indicates something about a security system

Any suggestions whats causing my instrument panel to act up, what should I check? Im not even sure if my airbag is faulty or part of my instrument panel problems.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4.7 4x4 SLT
srober76,

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns.

Is the airbag light flashing? Or staying on for a period and then going off? IN regards to the instrument panel, the intermittent loss of power may be related to a loose connection or wiring issue.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:12 PM
srober76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airbag light is very inconsistent. It could say on for a few seconds or up to a few minutes. When I can get time ill look into any loose connections. What about that red light thats coming on? What does that mean exactly, I never knew that light existed untill a few days ago.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by srober76
Airbag light is very inconsistent. It could say on for a few seconds or up to a few minutes. When I can get time ill look into any loose connections. What about that red light thats coming on? What does that mean exactly, I never knew that light existed untill a few days ago.
srober76,

When you lock the truck, a red light should be flashing in your instrument cluster. That would indicate the security system is on. This can be seen through the driver's window when parked. Is that the same red light that is coming on in addition to the airbag light?

If this light remains on, it is an indication that a fault has occurred in the system electronics and a diagnosis is recommended.

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel gone crazy