3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear wheel bearing.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Bigmincey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing.....

Any advice would be much appreciated here folks.

I have developed a noise when going around a sweeping right hand corner, checked things out and I am pretty certain its the rear wheel bearing.
Front wheel bearing was done in February this year, so pretty certain its the rear drivers side.
My truck in question is a 2003, 1500 4.7 Magnum, Auto. 2wd. I am going to order up the bearing in question, but as I stay in Scotland, UK, I want to make sure I order the correct one, as returning incorrect parts is kinda awkward. I normally use Rockauto over here as delivery is rapid !
So the question is, does anybody know the part number for the bearing, or can advise me as to the proper one for my truck ? Also are they sided ? o/s and n/s ?
Might just order two actually ? If I have the diff cover off, that would be peace of mind !

Many thanks in advance,

Alan............

Old 12-18-2014, 04:25 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I would take it apart to have a peak first. Wheel bearings in the rear axle ride on the axle bearing surface. If you have a bad bearing, your more than likely going to need an axle shaft too....

Old 12-22-2014, 03:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know the part number off hand but there are links in my signature for the Parts Manuals where you can find the numbers

Old 12-23-2014, 07:13 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

To get to the rear wheel bearing, you'll need to pull the axle. That means you need to remove the rear cover to release the axle. I suggest a gasket for the rear cover, faster and the cost is the same. I'd also put a new axle seal in. While the axle is out, I'd go after the pesky parking brake actuator - they tend to rot up.

I wouldn't say you need a new axle for sure, inspect it before buying one.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Bigmincey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Job done. Axle shaft was perfect, just a worn out bearing. Made up a home made puller to release the bearing from the axle casing. New seal fitted at the same time and checked the parking brake assembely, all good. Bearings are not sided. Thanks for all the advice guys, its much appreciated !
Alan.........

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing.....