3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to me 2006 Ram 1500 Crewcab with Hemi 5.7 Big Horn Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2006 Ram 1500 Crewcab with Hemi 5.7 Big Horn Edition.

Just as the title states, I am the new owner of a 2006 Ram 1500 Crewcab,with the Hemi 5.7, and labeled as the Big Horn Edition. The only worry factor so far is the truck has 106,000 on the odometer. I have done about every VIN check on it possible and can not find anything bad, so far that is. I say that because of the satisfying end of 2014 that god has intended me to have. So without further ado, here is your opportunity to grab a drink, sit down, listen to the situation that has led me to purchase this truck and ask you what I need to do to prevent or pre-maintenance any issues. About 3 years ago I bought a 2007 F250 6.0 diesel that was showroom condition for 25% less than what they wanted in order to get it off their lot. I never put one dime into this truck for any repairs over those 2 years. Lord and behold, in March of 2014, god decided to point someone in the direction of stealing it in broad daylight and no one saw a thing. After 3 days it was found, stripped to the frame, and the insurance totaled it out. The insurance gave me payoff, but since I paid double payments on it in those 2 years, I was granted a $12,000 payout for it versus the $22,000 that it was valued at (thanks State Farm ). My next purchase with that $12,000 was in October 2014 for a 2007 F150 Crewcab 4X4 with the 5.4. (probably not the best decision ). I only say that because the engine blew the upper in in 5 days and the dealer said it was not worth putting the money into. After that I waited about 30 days, $12,000 less in my pocket than what I started with, when I was informed that they had found a 2006 Dodge Ram Crewcab with a 5.7 Hemi Big Horn Edition with 106,000 miles that was showroom condition. Well, if you haven't figured it out, I take possession of it tomorrow. So end the end to this "old country song where everything is dead but the dog and wife", what can I look forward to and what should I "prepare" for?

The truck made it on a dealer 200 mile transfer with no issues, but.........."the what if remains in memory?" What should I do?

Should I flush the motor?
Should I flush the tranny?
Should I change the plugs?
Should I change all the filters?
Should I??????????

Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should do.... all of the above

Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to late now.. your could have got a lawyer .. and got most of the lost 12k....

a totaled price.. is a price you except.. and you did NOT have to except JUST 12k...
when my other vehicle was totaled. it took 5 weeks of talks.. I got double what the was first offered. without a lawyer.

Maintenance .. Everything possible... but it will NOT reverse damage/neglect

Old 12-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the plug wires, get the fsm from weedahoe - its free, change all the fluids using synthetics of your choice, pull the TB and clean it with non chlorinated brake cleaner--NOT CARB CLEANER!, pull the tires and check the brakes, front and back. Get rid of the factory shocks--at this point, they're dead, Bilsteins are generally recommended, Install a gatorback serpentine belt, check the idler pulleys to see if they're due. Check the condenser fan on the little radiator to the right facing engine, make sure its running strong, and up to speed(you'll have to guess on this one) when the a/c is running---there's a few to get you started.
I have 201,000 on my 05 right now, with very few problems--ever

Old 12-23-2014, 07:23 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd have my favorite mechanic inspect it for issues before accepting it.

service the rear diff, look for the dreaded LSD broken pieces.

service the trans, by dropping the pan and put in new filters

new plugs

oil change

ditto on the insurance, you can negotiate a higher value.

Quick Reply: New to me 2006 Ram 1500 Crewcab with Hemi 5.7 Big Horn Edition.