3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Key FOB is killing batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Slowdog
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key FOB is killing batteries

My key fob on my 2007 Ram 1500 kills new batteries after about two weeks. The fob has remote start (which I never use). The fob is only used a few times a week. The batteries are verified good before I put them in and verified stone dead when I take them out....after only a couple of weeks!! The batteries I have tried are Sony or Maxell. I have checked for loose connections and none of the buttons appear to stuck in a closed position.

Anyone had this problem? Any input will be appreciated!!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A loose connection won't kill the battery. It has to be a stuck button or a stray connection between the positive and negative side of the battery.

While standing near the truck, put in a fresh battery and see what happens (door unlock, lock, whatever). If that doesn't get a result, you may need to isolate every button and its contact until you can isolate the culprit. It may be easier to just get a new fob (or two) off eBay and retire the suspect fob.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Slowdog
Amateur

Well I tried yet another new battery and it lasted only one week...I guess the key fob has just gone bad....if anyone has the same problem and finds a solution then please post it as a reply here.... thanks!!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:23 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The solution now is eBay. Make sure the fob(s) you get match the FCC number on the existing one. Do it soon before the fob fails completely. Once you don't have a working fob, you'll need the dealer.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Slowdog
Amateur

Great advice! I did not know about the FCC number, so thanks!

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 AM
Slowdog
Amateur

I am having trouble locating a replacement key fob for this 2007 Ram that has the "remote start" button....I see some with a 4th button to open a rear hatch and of course I see many very reasonably priced key fobs with just the three buttons (lock, unlock, and panic). I never use the remote start function...do you think that I could use a 3-button remote....ignoring the remote start function? Will the FCC number be different?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The FCC number will very likely be different. Seems logical that a three-button fob would work, but logic sometimes has no bearing.

A phone call to some locksmiths in your area may help. Some of them have the equipment and know-how to deal with this. They may be able to offer some advice about abandoning the remote-start feature. It won't be as cheap as the basic fob, but it'll likely be cheaper than the dealer.

Quick Reply: Key FOB is killing batteries