3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 1500 Front Diff. Replace or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:22 AM
RocYourFace
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 1500 Front Diff. Replace or Rebuild?

Hey folks. Lets me start by saying I'm new to the forums and pretty happy to find a place that seems helpful and friendly!

Onto my question. I have a 2002 1500 4.7 with aroubd 135K on it. Had her for about 8 years now and love her to death. I've done some recent work and, per usual, more things always pop up after you fix one thing. I've been looking up prices for rebuild kits on my front differential. You can hear it once I get over about 30 mph. Also noticed when I replaced the front wheel bearings that the axle spurs (gears..whatever you prefer to call them) were starting to square. So I knew the diff was going to need some work.

I haven't looked up the price of the diff as a whole unit itself yet but have found some rebuild kits for a relatively decent price. I'd be doing my own labor there for rebuild with a buddy so that'll cut a good chunk of cost.

My questions is really just to get your guy's opinions. I haven't done anything this big on my truck before, or really in generally on my own vehicles. The truck is my first and is paid off. So I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to put the money into it and fix her up or sell her and just stick with the car I've recently purhcased. Lots of sentimental value there. It doesn't help that I don't have my own garage to do work in. Thankfully, I have good friends.

But enough of my ramblings. In the end, do you think would it be cheaper to rebuild the diff or better just to replace the unit as a whole? As well as possibly getting new axle? Thanks!

Last edited by RocYourFace; 03-04-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:55 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Cheaper to rebuild unless catastrophically damaged.

Quick Reply: 02 1500 Front Diff. Replace or Rebuild?