3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What brand oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Hjlancas86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand oil?

What brand oil do you use and why? I have read numerous positive reviews on Royal Purple oil, oil filters and gear oil. Does anyone run Royal purple in their hemi? Im about to switch mine out to Royal purple and wanted to hear what everyone has had to say. Multiple race shops (Mopar & LS) say thats all they run in their motors. Stock and modded motors. It cleans out your motor better and runs smoother. Whats yall opinions?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Royal purple is overpriced and overhyped. Stick with whatever you have been using. If you want synthetic they are all about the same. Buy the cheapest unless you are racing.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I don't doubt that it's a superior quality oil, but as stated above, it's probably overkill for most people. I run RP in my front and rear end diffs, but it's because I know I'm a lot slacker about changing those out as often as maybe I would want to or should with more standard oils. When I had a Harley, I ran RP oil in the motor and gearcase because it definitely quietened down the noises coming from inside the works and made it shift smoother. But in all my 4 wheeled vehicles, I just run a good quality synthetic oil and change it on a specific schedule.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Hjlancas86
Professional

I do plan on having some motor work done in the future. Cam, headers, heads....ect and they say they put RP in all the vehicles because the motors simply run better with it. They also said if you have any aftermarket work done like I stated im going to do above you need to run it (what they said), I did change my oil today to RP. I did notice my throttle response and it seems like HP boosted a little. It normally doesnt do that when I get my oil changed but when i did it with the RP today it did for some reason.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

I ran RP in my 04 hemi. The big thing I noticed was the hemi tick was quieter. RP is great oil. I putting it in my diesel tomorrow. IMO its worth the money. I work my truck hard, I want all the insurance I can get.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pennzoil Hi-Mileage conventional here, both for the Ram and the C. Valvoline ATF+4 in the Ram's tranny. Mobile1 in the Ram's diff.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

It may not be as noticeable with larger engines, but as I mentioned above, I definitely noticed that it made my Harley run smoother and quieter and shift more smoothly. I could probably see, as mentioned above, that it would quieten down the hemi tick as well. On a bike, we are talking about a couple quarts of the stuff - not that much more money. In a hemi, it's significantly more expensive so you just have to decide if worth it to you.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Hjlancas86
Professional

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
It may not be as noticeable with larger engines, but as I mentioned above, I definitely noticed that it made my Harley run smoother and quieter and shift more smoothly. I could probably see, as mentioned above, that it would quieten down the hemi tick as well. On a bike, we are talking about a couple quarts of the stuff - not that much more money. In a hemi, it's significantly more expensive so you just have to decide if worth it to you.
Ya, 7 quarts per oil change and I paid $7.29 each qt shipped. Summit doesnt even have it that cheap. So far I think its worth it unless there are problems later on with it. Im about to change my gear oil to RP too this weekend. I plan on having a cummins down road in several years but want a 06-08 5.9, those motors are a beast

Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Northern Goat
Rookie

Royal Purple is 11.99 a litre in Canada. I would pay 7 and change all day no complaints.

Last edited by Northern Goat; 03-23-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Cannot spell today
Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Northern Goat
Royal Purple is 11.99 a litre in Canada. I would pay 7 and change all day no complaints.
Ha....I can beat that. Over $30 a liter here.........GULP!!
Al.

Quick Reply: What brand oil?