3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

odd alarm question,random horn beeping??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM
mrbb1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd alarm question,random horn beeping??

OK wondering if anyone has ever heard of this
I have a 06 2500 hemi, with the standard key alarm deal
well several times today, when the truck is parked, NO alarm on, or even doors locked, my horn beeps, like 3 slow beeps witha slight pause between them?
NO one is near the truck, or in the area, on a remote location
and the keys are inside the house no one else home?

what would cause this random alarm /horn beeping??
anyone have any idea's??

would a low battery or the likes be a cause, battery is 4 yrs old, and has good voltage(checked 12.8 volts when motor NOT running)

??
or is this just a freak thing/
has done it about 5 different times when I was outside shoveling snow over a 2-3 hr period, NO idea if its doing it more often, as . 10 degree's outside, so??

Old 03-05-2015, 04:37 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi mrbb1,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing this issue. Are there any trouble codes present?

Old 03-05-2015, 05:21 PM
mrbb1
Professional

NO no codes or anything, just a random, 3 beeps every now and then? or was only doing it while I was outside with it, too cold to be out there now to see if still doing it, but?? nothing is wrong with truck as far as I know, and I've owned it since mew!

just sems very odd?
temps have been in the minus 10 or so and below freezing now for like 70+ days!
so don't know if cold has anything to do with it?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Check the battery again. This time turn the a/c on, radio, lights, etc. while they have it hooked up.

SJ03

Old 03-06-2015, 08:40 AM
SteveCZ28

is it possible that the truck has a cold start feature. i know some remote starts have a feature that if it drops below a certain temp in the cab, the remote start will activate to warm the vehicle up.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:35 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Mrbb1,

Have you had a chance to follow SmokinJoe02’s suggestion? Also, following up on SteveCZ28’s suggestion, do you have a remote start installed or any aftermarket electrical parts?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:13 PM
mrbb1
Professional

sorry was busy all day ,
as for the replys, I have NO remote start on this truck, so, doubt that could be a ?? and NO extra electronic's but OEM< STL package, so, cannot see anything there being an issue
NOW as for having the a/c on, radio, lights, etc. while they have it hooked up.
NO< I had it to an auto zone to check for any codes and haven't been back, as they found NO codes
now I haven't tried testing it with a volt meter with all that stuff on and motor off, but would have to think it would have a draw and less than reading without it all on!
BUT can check again if thats what he means more??
as not sure if he is asking if I am checking wioth a code reader or just a volt meter
WHEN I was at atuto zone they tested battery too with there machine, to test, like with a load and it said battery is fine?
so, I really don't think the battery is an issue
MAYBE on the remote?? NOT talking with truck?? that I don't know

NOW all day today,. I haven't heard it happen at all, just that one day, BUT again, havent been spending a ton of time outside to hear it either, so??
just found it odd to have the horn beep 3 times like it did for NO reason, and did it a few times too, so??|
Thanks for the replys and thoughts, please feel free to offfer any more you think of, as I am LOST on this one?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Mrbb1,

Any reoccurrence over the weekend? If this concern does arise again, I recommend taking it to a dealership for formal diagnosis and maybe having them hang onto it for a bit to try to duplicate. Keep us posted!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 PM
mrbb1
Professional

thanks, I haven't been outside at all with the truck, just no time and well, weather been bad. next few days I plan to be outside a bunch so will see, BUT I haven't heard the horn at all in the house and been parking truck as close to a window as possible, thinking at NIGHT if it was it would stand out!
but there quick beeps when it did do it ??

never heard of this before??
I did buy a new battery for my remote too, just inc ase, as I know when they die, I cannot drive the truck, which to me is CRAZY and stupid, truck will start with key but won't let it be put in gear, stalls out, all due to a DEAD BATTTERY, in a key?? and man I found that out the hard way, far walk out one day!, and NOTHING wrong with tyurck but a stupit dad battery in key!
MAN I hate this new modern crap at times LOL

Old 03-09-2015, 04:41 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by mrbb1
thanks, I haven't been outside at all with the truck, just no time and well, weather been bad. next few days I plan to be outside a bunch so will see, BUT I haven't heard the horn at all in the house and been parking truck as close to a window as possible, thinking at NIGHT if it was it would stand out!
but there quick beeps when it did do it ??

never heard of this before??
I did buy a new battery for my remote too, just inc ase, as I know when they die, I cannot drive the truck, which to me is CRAZY and stupid, truck will start with key but won't let it be put in gear, stalls out, all due to a DEAD BATTTERY, in a key?? and man I found that out the hard way, far walk out one day!, and NOTHING wrong with tyurck but a stupit dad battery in key!
MAN I hate this new modern crap at times LOL
I have not heard of this one, so definitely update us once you've had a chance to be out around the truck a little more. Thanks!

Quick Reply: odd alarm question,random horn beeping??