3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 hemi noise??

Old 04-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Hjlancas86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a better video I am going to post in the next half hr

Old 04-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Hjlancas86
Professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO6v...ature=youtu.be

Here is another video I made today when I went through a drive through. You can hear it better because the noise is bouncing off the wall.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:30 AM
abarmby
Champion

Sounds exactly like mine. It's the Hemi tick.
Al.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Carlos Brown

Hjlancas86,

I have a 2003 2500 QC 5.7L that I purchased new. The truck now has over 310K miles on it. After some time the truck developed noises, at least one which I would describe as the Hemi tick. As time went on, the noises became more numerous and louder... Most of them you simply write off, but the truck finally got to the point where it idled poorly and developed a loud clacking noise. I tried several simple things that did not improve the situation at all.

So, I finally decided to tear into the exhaust manifolds and bolts. Well, each side had three broken bolts and the driver side actually had a bolt completely missing. I decided to start on the passenger side thinking that it would be the easiest to repair, only to find that the driver side was much easier since the engine is offset to the passenger side. After replacing all of the studs, bolts, and gaskets, the truck sounds like it did when I drove it off of the showroom floor... Not even a Hemi tick!

I did notice that the new gaskets are much different than the old ones. The old ones were a very thin multiple layer metal gasket. The new gaskets are three times thicker than the old ones and are comprised of a metal layer with other gasket materials...

I have heard all sorts of diagnoses for the engine noise, but when a 310K mile motor ends up being as quiet as the day it was purchased, this is worth a look!

Regards,

Carlos

Old 04-29-2015, 07:11 PM
Hjlancas86
Professional

Originally Posted by Carlos Brown
Hjlancas86,

I have a 2003 2500 QC 5.7L that I purchased new. The truck now has over 310K miles on it. After some time the truck developed noises, at least one which I would describe as the Hemi tick. As time went on, the noises became more numerous and louder... Most of them you simply write off, but the truck finally got to the point where it idled poorly and developed a loud clacking noise. I tried several simple things that did not improve the situation at all.

So, I finally decided to tear into the exhaust manifolds and bolts. Well, each side had three broken bolts and the driver side actually had a bolt completely missing. I decided to start on the passenger side thinking that it would be the easiest to repair, only to find that the driver side was much easier since the engine is offset to the passenger side. After replacing all of the studs, bolts, and gaskets, the truck sounds like it did when I drove it off of the showroom floor... Not even a Hemi tick!

I did notice that the new gaskets are much different than the old ones. The old ones were a very thin multiple layer metal gasket. The new gaskets are three times thicker than the old ones and are comprised of a metal layer with other gasket materials...

I have heard all sorts of diagnoses for the engine noise, but when a 310K mile motor ends up being as quiet as the day it was purchased, this is worth a look!

Regards,

Carlos
Thanks, I will try that to see if it helps. i hope it does help and will be a cheaper fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 hemi noise??