3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake cracked

Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 PM
kschaeffer67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake cracked

Maybe you can help. have a 2003 1500 hemi and was told the plenum is cracked. I had an offer to JB Weld it but than others told me NOT to do this. Called a dealership and they run about $450 brand new. Can I get by with the crack being welded or using a used one from a junk yard. Just trying to get others opinions. By the way, Im female and people don't think I know what Im talking about. Just wanted to throw that out there. lol Any advice would be appreciated

Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by kschaeffer67
Maybe you can help. have a 2003 1500 hemi and was told the plenum is cracked. I had an offer to JB Weld it but than others told me NOT to do this. Called a dealership and they run about $450 brand new. Can I get by with the crack being welded or using a used one from a junk yard. Just trying to get others opinions. By the way, Im female and people don't think I know what Im talking about. Just wanted to throw that out there. lol Any advice would be appreciated
That's actually a third gen truck, so, you are *almost* in the right place.

But: What's the manifold made of? If it's plastic, JB Weld might work for a while, but, I wouldn't want my motor to ingest any of that...... could be bad. Could also call around to junkyards, and see if you can pick up a used one..... If no one local has one car-part.com is a great resource.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Moved to the correct section.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:42 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kschaeffer67
Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's actually a third gen truck, so, you are *almost* in the right place.

But: What's the manifold made of? If it's plastic, JB Weld might work for a while, but, I wouldn't want my motor to ingest any of that...... could be bad. Could also call around to junkyards, and see if you can pick up a used one..... If no one local has one car-part.com is a great resource.
If you have an 03 hemi, your intake manifold is plastic. Find an uncracked replacement. You might have issues actually finding one in a junkyard, I would check ebay or car-part.com. You always run risks with used parts, finding one that came off a good running engine will mitigate that to an extent.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rock Auto shows the 5127193AF MoPar intake manifold for $325. End seal and gaskets look to be ~$20 or so extra.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:17 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of them on CL in my area.

SJ03

Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an intake sitting here in the shelf for a 5.7